Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mentor

Hello all,

First post, so bear with me. I’m amazed that this site exists and everyone that’s willing to offer out their help. I’ll really appreciate any help that I can get and look forward to getting the chance to help out others in the future.

I’m thinking about opening a beer bar, but I’d like some industry experience to learn about some of the day-to-day operations. I don’t want to bother too many bar and brewpub owners, so I’m hoping that someone on here might be able to recommend someone that might be willing to offer up some time so I could pick their brain for awhile. I up in the bay area of California, but I’d be willing to travel a little distance for some invaluable knowledge. Thanks for the help.

What part of the Bay Area? I'm down near Santa Cruz and could talk.
    Steve Donohue
    Brewmaster
    Santa Clara Valley Brewing

Comment

Fly to San Diego and catch a Padres game, then afterwards go here: http://www.yardhouse.com

Hang out there for a few hours and all your questions will be answered.

Make sure you install a top quality draft system with glycol cooled lines. Use a top shelf sytem designed and installed by pros like this: http://www.chillrite32.com Use in-line pumps, and empty keg detectors to minimize losses.

Keep your lines clean.

You might even install flowmeters to keep track of pouring, like these: http://www.berg-controls.com

Good Luck!
      B

Comment

Mentor

steved,
        I'm in Cupertino and am very willing to drive to Santa Cruz. Thanks.

zbrew2k,
        I've actually been to the Yardhouse in SD and the one in Irvine. The times I have gone it's been very busy and I wouldn't want to disturb the owners/managers with a bunch of questions. Thanks for the advise and the links, I'll look into them.

Comment

Speaking of San Diego...

Also worth checking out in San Diego are Liars' Club, O'Brien's, and San Diego Brewing Company. These are bars for brewers, with a ton of bottled beers, mellow atmosphere, and they showcase local brewers constantly.

I don't really know what they spent on these places, but if you don't have the kind of cash for a layout like the yardhouse, these joints could give you some excellent ideas on how to do more with less.

When I went there on a Saturday the owner of O'Brien's was pouring beers, which I think is a common sight. He is a really nice guy and likes to talk. I'm sure he would have some great advice. Definitely worth checking out.

All 3 of these places have wicked beer menus. San Diego Brewing has more emphasis on draft beer than the other 2.
          Steve G

Comment

Re: Speaking of San Diego...

Yeah, I just moved from SD. I loved those places, as well as the Pizza Ports.

Originally posted by steveg
            Also worth checking out in San Diego are Liars' Club, O'Brien's, and San Diego Brewing Company. These are bars for brewers, with a ton of bottled beers, mellow atmosphere, and they showcase local brewers constantly.

I don't really know what they spent on these places, but if you don't have the kind of cash for a layout like the yardhouse, these joints could give you some excellent ideas on how to do more with less.

When I went there on a Saturday the owner of O'Brien's was pouring beers, which I think is a common sight. He is a really nice guy and likes to talk. I'm sure he would have some great advice. Definitely worth checking out.

All 3 of these places have wicked beer menus. San Diego Brewing has more emphasis on draft beer than the other 2.

Comment

Having the keg cold room immediately behind the bar will save lots of time, foam loss$, and makes life easier. (and Downstairs!) Make sure access won't be blocked by customers and there is plenty of room for cold back-up kegs for all the taps, and that the back-up can be put on painlessly without climbing over or moving kegs. An intelligent location for empty kegs will save you lots of wasted expensive floor sq. footage. Check out Barclay's in Oakland, Hopyard in Pleasanton.
              Please do not put on too many taps or the beer will be old and taste nasty before the keg runs out. Fresh beer is better than too many choices.
              I'm in Santa Rosa, and happy to tell you more.

Comment

Working...
              X