tap handle made from 3D model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tap handle made from 3D model?

I had a 3D model of my brewery logo made and am looking to use that for the manufacturing of my tap handles. In my naivety, I assumed that this would be a simple process of using a 3D printer to create the physical model to be used for making a mold. However, all the tap handle companies I've talked to (so far) prefer to make the molds from clay models and don't know how to incorporate 3D printers into their process.

Any ideas?

Re: tap handle made from 3D model?

Originally posted by PetalumaHills View Post
    I had a 3D model of my brewery logo made and am looking to use that for the manufacturing of my tap handles. In my naivety, I assumed that this would be a simple process of using a 3D printer to create the physical model to be used for making a mold. However, all the tap handle companies I've talked to (so far) prefer to make the molds from clay models and don't know how to incorporate 3D printers into their process.

Any ideas?
    I'm no expert in 3D printing but Colorado State University just opened a community 3D printing lab. You could probably get in touch with the head researcher there by looking up contact info on the Colorado State University website to see what the feasibility would be for using what you already have or if they themselves could do something for you....Here is some info: http://www.news.colostate.edu/Release/6786
    Good luck!
    Last edited by beerme911; 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beerme911 View Post
      I'm no expert in 3D printing but Colorado State University just opened a community 3D printing lab. You could probably get in touch with the head researcher there by looking up contact info on the Colorado State University website to see what the feasibility would be for using what you already have or if they themselves could do something for you....Here is some info: http://www.news.colostate.edu/Release/6786
      Good luck!
      I apologize for not being clear, but printing in 3D is not the issue; I have access to 3D printers. The issue is using a 3D printout as the basis for making the molds for manufacturing tap handles. I'm having a difficult time finding a tap handle manufacturer who knows how to incorporate 3D printing into the process.

Comment

I would imagine the issue is heat. If I had to guess, I'd say tap handle manufacturers use some sort of pressed wood product to make handles. Something like MDF or particle board. I bet they need to make a metal cast of the original to use as a press. The clay would stand up to the heat of having molten metal poured on it. Plastic will not. You may be able to cast then remold your object. Not sure how you'd mold clay that is tolerant to heat though. Did you ask the handle manufacturers how the people that come to them with clay shapes make theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by jkovarovics View Post
          I would imagine the issue is heat. If I had to guess, I'd say tap handle manufacturers use some sort of pressed wood product to make handles. Something like MDF or particle board. I bet they need to make a metal cast of the original to use as a press. The clay would stand up to the heat of having molten metal poured on it. Plastic will not. You may be able to cast then remold your object. Not sure how you'd mold clay that is tolerant to heat though. Did you ask the handle manufacturers how the people that come to them with clay shapes make theirs?
          My experience, so far, is that the clay shapes are a service the tap handle manufacturers provide. I haven't heard of a brewery providing their own, but that doesn't mean it isn't so.

Comment

What do breweries provide? I'm yet to make it to the tap handle portion of the fun so I'm curious and I love 3D printing. I'm not really sure of the issue if the manufacturer provides the clay shape. Couldn't they just take your print and make a model of it? I think I see where you're going though. 3D print to mold to handle and that's neat but realistically, you need someone capable of creating CAD models somewhere along the way. Between the cost of printing and a CAD operator, I don't see the advantage today. 5-10 years from now, we'll all just be printing handles straight out. No need for a manufacturer to mass produce.

Comment

Working...
            X