SS vs. Noryl plates in plate filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS vs. Noryl plates in plate filter?

I am not that much into filtration with plate filters, but we tested palte vs. lenticular and find plates better than lenticular. We will filter just rough, 30 hl at the time.
    NOw I am looking into used plate filters and wonder if stainless steel plates are better/worse than noryl? Please help

Better but more expensive.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

I prefer noryl simply because they are easier to deal with...lighter, and don't hold heat. SS is great, but if you have more than 20 plates, that filter will be a bear to move around!

Nat

Comment

Personally I would go for stainless, but I do wholly agree with the comment about heat and moving a portable filter around.

Why stainless ? Mainly on the basis of experience with plastic yeast press plates cracking and crazing due to high temperatures / aggressive chemicals such as chlorinated caustic or peracetic acid. And stainless plates are (again from yeast press plate experience) easier to get repaired if necessary and appear to be less easily physically damaged.

But I suspect a lot of it will come down to cost - I have no idea what the relative costs are. And if the plates of whichever type are in good nick when you get them, and you treat them carefully, then they should last for years.
        dick

Comment

Thanx for replys.
          Are there any bigger losses on 60x60 than on 40x40 filters on same sq metres..?

Comment

So in the end we bought used Seitz 60x60 SS plate filter..great device..

Comment

Working...
            X