Keeping Scale Streaks Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Scale Streaks Away

I am a brewer at a glassed-in brewpub that I have inherited after 15 years of minimal upkeep on the exteriors of the tanks and the inside of the glass.

Thusly the windows have a soft focus patina of hard water scale and the tanks have "dirty" looking streaks coming from the caps down the top half of the tanks.

The tanks have all just been abrasively polished to remove the scale, but as it is a busy brewery I will soon be spraying water all over the brewery to clean up, and despite that it is a steam powered system so the moisture content of the brewhouse is pretty high.

What do I do to keep the tank streaks from returning? Do I (like the owners suggest) have to wipe down all the tanks after getting water on them? Is there a solution I can spray on them that acts like a streak-free rinse? Also, do I have to squeegee the ceiling high windows whenever I get water on them?

Thanks!
    Chad S. Roberts
    Brewer
    Snipes Mountain Brewing
    Sunnyside, WA
    (509) 837-BREW

If high humidity is an issue, you may want to install a dehumidifier that is piped directly into your drains. It may not solve the problem entirely, but can at least help out, especially if you let it run in hours when you're not actively brewing.
    Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

Comment

There's no way to crack one of those windows? I suppose not, or else you'd do it. Moisture really shouldn't be a problem in Yakima, but you have to be able to vent that room. I remember going to your place maybe a year or so ago, before my brewery opened, and thinking "boy that guy is brewing inside a terrarium". It's really nice and shows off the brewhouse, but you have to be able to move air through there. Get a top row of windows you can open up (or a big hood) and it will save you in the long run vs. constant chemical use on the scale. Sorry, that's all I got.

Peter
      Populuxe Brewing
      Seattle, WA

Comment

Working...
      X