Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Nutrient

Hi all,
    Was wondering if anyone had experience or recomendations for using yeast nutrient. I got about a 20lb sack of it (suspicous looking white crystaline material) with the used equipment I bought, and don't really know how much about how or even where to use it.

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Last edited by Sir Brewsalot; 05-20-2005, 06:02 AM.

throw it out before you hurt yourself or others...buy some Servo from white labs or get some yeastex...or save youself a bundle and just throw a pint of yeast into your next batch (at the kettle). If you are brewing all malt you may not even need yeast nutrient...although I am partial to servo esp for lagers
    Larry Horwitz

Comment

Yes, all grain. Hmmmm.... maybe I should edit my post to read:

For Sale: "Really useful" 20# bag of yeast nutrient.

I'm not brewing lagers, but was wondering, does the servomy. help the yeast attenuate better? Have you done any before and after trials? (Was there a thread about this?)

Thanks for the word.
      Scott

Comment

Hello, my name is Ron and I'm a Servo, yestex junkie.

Overkill you say, throwing money away? While some would definitely agree, I believe I have a stronger, more rapid fermentation with more consistent attenuation by using the two. Especially on initial runs with a new yeast. I feel I am able to keep my yeast happy and healthy, with better flocculation and cropping. Leading to faster FV turnaround, happy house strains, longer yeast use, less yeast purchasing, and as such, lower costs. Just anecdotal, but when I slip up and run out (yeah it happens), something is definitely a little off. But without the scientific survey, perhaps its all in my mind?

There was a pro and con article regarding use of yeast nutrient in an article in the New Brewer a while back. I'll check at home and see if I can come up with an issue number.

Cheers,
        Ron

Comment

Working...
        X