Thermal probe and vaseline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal probe and vaseline

Does anyone have a suggestion for a material to fill around the thermometer in a fermenter thermal probe? In the past I have used Vaseline.
    Thanks!
    Cellarmaker Brewing Co.
    San Francisco, CA

Thermo well

They make a heat transfer grease that is made for the beverage industry. I'm not sure vasoline fall under the food and beverage guidelines.

Comment

Thermal Compound

GWK sells the FDA-approved, food-grade stuff (at a premium):

White Ice 510 is a non-reactive, Silicone, Thermally Conductive Grease with a high thermal conductivity and low thermal resistance with a soft, non-flowable and scree printable consistency.  This product is formulated with specialty binding agents to achieve lowest amount of bleed and evaporations.  It is designed for applications where a silicone thermal interface material is required and where the device may later need to be easily removed from the heat sink.  This compound is ideally suited for use in thin cross-sectional thicknesses down 1 mil.  Made in the USA. Thermal Conductivity ( 0.8 W/m-K ) Thixotropic Paste RoHS Compliant-Halogen Free Thin BLT less than 5 micron Minimum Bleed and Evaporation APPLICATIONS Interface for semiconductors requiring low pressure or spring clamp mounting Thermal sensors, TEC modules, Thermal Wells IGBTs, LED Power Transistors, Diodes, Power Resistors CPU/GPU/Heat Sink

You can get cheaper and smaller amounts of it from component manufacturers. Omega's non-hardening compound is called "Omegatherm 201". They don't claim it to be food-grade, but its still silicone based. I think its what is sent along with the sani thermowells when we order them.

Thermally Conductive two part epoxies are available as either very-high, high, or low conductivity and useful for sensor adhesion. Click to see all.
      Kyle Kohlmorgen
      Process/Automation Consultant
      St. Louis, MO

Comment

Zoro has Thermal Mastic at a better price than GW but not food grade.

Comment

Any good ways on getting the paste in the well? I tried just doing it, and the density of the paste combined with the lack of a good way to displace the air in the tube (it needs to go somewhere as the paste goes in) made it very difficult. I got some in, not sure how much or if it was enough.

Comment

I'd like to congratulate you on BEST THREAD TITLE EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by DowneastCider View Post
              Any good ways on getting the paste in the well? I tried just doing it, and the density of the paste combined with the lack of a good way to displace the air in the tube (it needs to go somewhere as the paste goes in) made it very difficult. I got some in, not sure how much or if it was enough.
              How about using a long syringe. when you start pushing it out of the syringe you slowly pull it out of the thermo well.

Comment

The paste normally comes in syringes for us, but its tough if they dont have a long adapter on them.

Our electricians will dispense the paste onto the probe and then insert it into well. I could have made that statement a lot funnier / less PC.
                Kyle Kohlmorgen
                Process/Automation Consultant
                St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
                X