Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growler Shop Sales Projections for Business Model

Greetings all,

I'm planning to open up a growler retail store in my market near Dallas which will include 20 beers on taps for tastings as well as fills, plus a selection of bottled and canned craft beers for sale. I have a location picked out and am figuring in other costs into my business plan. However one thing is eluding me, I have not been able to find any source for how to go about projecting revenue. The Growler business model is a new one for Texas, but I figured there must be something out there that might provide some insight, even if it's from another state--the only similar businesses here have been open less than one year. I haven't been able to locate any industry-published statistics for growler sales.

Any light you could shed would be much appreciated.

Considering the population of the area being unfamiliar with growlers & craft beer in general I would plan for as small a space as possible so you can limit overhead both rent & labor.

You're not going to find any usable info on something as specific as growler sales. The only data that's collected is IRI which tracks supermarket package sales and Brewers Association data which tracks overall brewery growth. Growler sales are very strong in very select markets but have yet to hit the nation as a whole. I grew up in that area and was just in DFW recently and was astounded at how little the beer scene has grown in the area compared to so many other parts of the country.

I would plan for growler sales to be about 25% of your overall sales with package being the bulk of what you do. The only caveat here is location. If you're spot is somewhere where people can easily gather and have a pint to two then take a growler home then on premise sales will be your largest category.
    Owner
    Grind Modern Burger
    PostModern Brewers
    Boise, ID

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the response.

I do plan to have a space where patrons can gather for a pint or flight so that's good to hear.

This was helpful, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comment

we just started up as a nano brewery with only growler sales, in an area where growlers are not popular yet. growler sales started about a month ago. we've been filling 12-15 growlers or so on fridays. things have been picking up more, but we obviously send most of our beer out in kegs. hope this helps.

-Dan

Comment

Junkyard

What size of nano are you working with? How much space do you have for the brewery and tasting room?

Comment

Originally posted by sok454 View Post
            Junkyard

What size of nano are you working with? How much space do you have for the brewery and tasting room?
            sorry late reply,

we have a 1.5 bbl system. we are only brewing 2 days a week right now because we still have part time jobs. Also only selling growlers 2 days a week. Wed and Fri. Honestly there are so many variables its going to be hard to get a good comparison for you. We dont have a tasting room, its just a tiny 250 sq foot brewery. Kind of a hole in the wall but its a testament to craft beer lovers, they are willing to come find us and get growler fills. The key for growler sales in my opinion is they need to be priced the same as 6 packs, because obviously 6 packs are more convenient.

Comment

Btrap:

Mind sharing what numbers you may have used in your business plan ?

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                sorry late reply,

we have a 1.5 bbl system. we are only brewing 2 days a week right now because we still have part time jobs. Also only selling growlers 2 days a week. Wed and Fri. Honestly there are so many variables its going to be hard to get a good comparison for you. We dont have a tasting room, its just a tiny 250 sq foot brewery. Kind of a hole in the wall but its a testament to craft beer lovers, they are willing to come find us and get growler fills. The key for growler sales in my opinion is they need to be priced the same as 6 packs, because obviously 6 packs are more convenient.
                One note on your price point. Your growler fills need to be cheaper than for a craft 6 pack for a couple reasons. One, there's only 5 12 oz pours in a growler and Two, its perishable vs a bottle.
                Owner
                Grind Modern Burger
                PostModern Brewers
                Boise, ID

Comment

Working...
                X