Chiller system question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller system question

I am new to the pro brewing scene and im setting up all of the equipment I can by myself. My chiller system has the chiller unit, a circulation pump, and a ice water pump. It was designed to have a 10bbl glycol storage tank but I don't want to set it up as such because of the cost of glycol and the fact that it is just a waste of cooling to cool that much glycol for storage. I would like to convert the 10bbl glycol storage tank into a cold liquor tank by using a plate heat exchanger hooked up to the glycol loop. I will use the ice water pump to move the cold water through the heat exchanger and the glycol circulation pump to move the glycol through the other half of the exchanger. My question is can this be done? I guess the system was designed to be a open system because of the open glycol reserve tank? Can I make this a closed loop system and if so what do I need to do to make it work? Will I have to have a reserve tank and if so what size and where can I get it from? Any take on this will be greatly appreciated!
    Ben Pugh
    Meddlesome Brewing Company
    Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
    Memphis, Tn

Just so everybody knows I have a 3hp chiller with three 5bbl jacketed fermenters and I want to cool a 10bbl cold liquor tank too. Hope this info helps out some.
    Ben Pugh
    Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
    Memphis, Tn

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Ales View Post
      Just so everybody knows I have a 3hp chiller with three 5bbl jacketed fermenters and I want to cool a 10bbl cold liquor tank too. Hope this info helps out some.
      I think what you're describing is doable and makes sense.

My suggestion would be to install a smaller tank- something in the 20-50 Gallon size range to replace the 10 Bbl reservoir, an open insulated poly tank is what we would incorporate on our 3 HP Chiller Systems. Give me a call and I can quote you a price for one of our tanks insulated and even install the fittings you need, if interested.

It is hard to advise on the pump configuration without knowing; the flow requirements of your chiller evaporator, fermenters, and CLT Heat Exchanger- as well as the rated capacity for the pump you are using for this purpose. Assuming the pump capacity is adequate, this too is definitely doable. If you want to shoot me a simple piping schematic/illustration, I'd be happy to review and let you know if there's any piping change suggestions that I can offer.

Please give me a call if you want to discuss in more detail and I can at least share how our systems in this range are assembled for you to compare with what you are putting together.

Best of Luck,

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr
      Chief Executive Officer | Pro Refrigeration, Inc
      326 8th ST SW Auburn, WA
      Tel: 253-218-3029| Mobile: 253-732-9402| Fax: 253-735-2631
      www.prochiller.com | www.prochillerparts.com | jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Jim you are the man! You have been very helpful and just a great guy to deal with. Thanks for all the help!
        Ben Pugh
        Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
        Memphis, Tn

Comment

Thank you Ben, good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X