Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bavarian Hefe Yeast

Hello all,

I am currently investigating brewing a Bavarian Hefe as a continuous item on brew-pub beer menu. I have a science back round and have done some yeast culture. We are trying to save some money by propagating our own yeast cultures. We are looking at trying to get 5-7 generations out of these yeasts before a fresh pitch. The problems I have heard is the bavarian strains are difficult to keep going that long. They go sour very easily as well as a host of other problems. Anyone have experience and could lend me their knowledge? Thanks in advance

Almost all hefe strains are top cropping yeast. If you can crop it from the top you can go all the way to gen 10. If you can't top cropit the it is a one and done yeast.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
      Almost all hefe strains are top cropping yeast. If you can crop it from the top you can go all the way to gen 10. If you can't top cropit the it is a one and done yeast.
      Top cropping might be a little tricky, but I'll give it a try. Thanks again

Comment

The number of re-pitches is going to vary somewhat depending on the strain and where you are cropping from. That said I can comfortably go 3-4, cropped from the bottom of my uni's here in Bangalore using fermentis 06.
        Last edited by tringali; 01-24-2014, 05:18 AM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Ed Tringali
        Brewmaster ~ Consultant
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X