Coffee Stouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Stouts

We were considering making a coffee stout later this year and were curious about the ways that different people went about adding coffee. I have heard of doing it a few different ways including using both coffee grounds in the end of the boil to adding coffee flavorings during fermentation. Any success/failure stories out there? Anything specific to look out for?

I have done it a few different ways. First adding it to the whirlpool at the end of boil, great flavor but you have to make sure you get all the grinds out of the htx, also have had extra active fermentations with this method maybe due to the yeast reacting to the caffeine. Second dosing individual kegs with hot coffee before filling with the conditioned ready to serve stout, benefits: retain aroma of coffee, can try different roasts on individual kegs, drawback: dosing each keg can be tedious and time consuming.

Comment

I recently made an Espresso Stout in which I implemented two different applications for adding coffee flavor to beer. The first was I brewed 5 gallons of Espresso and added it at the end of the boil (15 bbls), the remaining espresso grounds were added to the mash. I didn't filter the beer and have recieved good response from customers. Another way I've done this in the past is to add crushed beans right into the mash, in porter or stout recipes typically anywhere from 1-2 lbs per bbl. depending on the desired strength.
      Cheers,
      Mike Roy
      Brewmaster
      Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
      5123 Baltimore Ave
      Hyattsville,MD 20781
      301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
      @franklinsbrwry
      facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

I've used coffee both in the whirlpool as grounds, and in the serving tank as brewed and without grounds. I prefer the latter both for the increased aroma, and for eliminating trouble of having grounds clog the Hx and the unitank outlet. Also, you may want to add a bit (more) chocolate malt to compliment the coffee. Espresso stout, wonderful stuff!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

coffee beers

I regularly do coffee beers and have added the coffee in different ways and at different points in the process. I have found that you get the most flavor and a smoother, less harsh beer by dry-hopping with the coffee. IN other words, add the coffee beans to the fermenter after fermentation is completed and the yeast is removed.

Comment

When I did my Coffee Porter (7bbl's) I used ground beans and made a giant "tea bag" for them and dropped it into a corny. I then racked brite beer into the corny and allowed it to sit for 48 hours before racking back to the tank and sampling. Obviously you can then sample the tank and if need be re-reck to the corny and allow another 24-48 hours and for larger systems you could use more then one keg.

Of course if you could grab one of these from SABCO then you would have ample space for my method.

Comment

Each keg...

I have found that a quart of fresh brewed espresso, poured into the keg prior to racking the beer in, gives the beer an amazing taste and aroma. Of course, unless you have a machine or a source, this would be a pretty expensive way to go. And if you want to crank out 30-50 kegs, it would be insane. But it works for me when I want a quick seasonal on tap.

Comment

I use a cold extract formula from x-cafe coffees. It goes in the bright before carbonation to mix it up well and is inexpensive and very good quality. 1-2 gal extract for about 10 bbl works well.

Comment

Working...
                X