Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegging Question from a homebrewer

Hey all,

I've got my hands on the equipment and setup needed to fill and carbonate some 1/2 bbl sankey kegs with home brewed beer, but I'm a little worried about cleaning. I've got no steam available, so how can I clean and sterilize these well? Besides steam, what sorts of methods are used commercially? Any harsh chemical that would work? Do I need to pull the bung out? Can I pull the bung out without any special tools?

Thanks...

hi,

depending on the keg, you may need a special gun looking thing to release a safety latch in the spear (prevents it from hitting the roof if removed with the keg under pressure) before you can remove it. i have used other kegs where you can just unscrew the spear with the tap, twisting in reverse. make sure you have the keg depressurised before doing this, as you can take your head off.

hmmm, to clean i would maybe just clean/sterilise as you would your fermenter - fill with bleach solution, rinse, etc. if you can, fill with hot water at ~85degC - great for sterilising. have a homebrew burner? - fill the cleaned keg with water, put on the burner and heat up until temperature.

just a couple of thoughts.

cheers,

alex

Comment

Bung Kegs!

Hooraaaay bung kegs, they are so cheap and easy to clean

Plastic Bungs are easy to get out with an oversized screwdriver, wood bungs not so easy...

If you dont replace your bung with a new one, you run the risk of contamination. These are removed every time we clean/fill kegs. The hole in the side allows a spray ball to be inserted and chems/water flushed through. So my advice....find a few replacement bungs instead of popping the spear, (aaak! bloody knuckles...)

Hopefully you have a sankey fitting on these kegs, and can use a normal tapping device to flush some stuff through the spear as well. Some of these keg couples have a one way check valve though, only letting beer out, nothing back in.

Sounds like you are in for a lot of work anyway you look at it, good luck!
      Dave

Comment

oh boy....

if you mean by "bung" the thing with the spring loaded ball valve at the top then disreguard whatever I just said
        peace
        Dave

Comment

In my opinion, nothing beats a corny keg for simple cleaning at home - even here at the brewery for that matter. Nice to be able to stick your arm in with a brush, and eyeball it when you're done.

I say stay w/ cornies (or perhaps that's GET some cornies), and sell your bunged sanke keg to a brewery with a keg washer.

Scott

Comment

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?

This is a forum that is very active and has a lot to offer the homw brewer. You can search the archives for items pertaining to what you need or post a new question and you will probably find a couple of dozen people who have this same issue!
            Doug A Moller
            Brewmaster
            The Moller Brew House
            (405)226-3111

Comment

Working...
            X