Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Plate Filtering Process

All,
    I am looking for some guidance. I am using a plate filter and am trying to figure out my process. I have been happy with the results so far when serving from the keg, however, we are going to start bottling soon and I am worried about oxygenation. For those out there that filter, I would appreciate your thoughts on my process below:
    • Soak the filters in RO water
    • Soak all of the plates in StarSan
    • Run StarSan through all of the hoses and the pump
    • Connect the filter to the fermenter and run enough beer through it to rinse the RO/StarSan water out of the pads
    • Filter the rest of the beers into kegs

Other notes, I run the filter at about 2 PSI and I use PALL filters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Have you tried hot sani?

It might be beyond your brewhouse's capabilities, but I hot sanitize my plate filter with 185°F water until the output temp is 180°F. After that, you can cool down the sanitized filter by pumping deoxygenated water (self-made seltzer water) through it before running beer through it. This should guarantee low dissolved Oxygen numbers within the filter pads and less beer waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Braxtol View Post
      It might be beyond your brewhouse's capabilities, but I hot sanitize my plate filter with 185°F water until the output temp is 180°F. After that, you can cool down the sanitized filter by pumping deoxygenated water (self-made seltzer water) through it before running beer through it. This should guarantee low dissolved Oxygen numbers within the filter pads and less beer waste.
      Thanks Braxtol, dumb question, but I am going to ask it. I assume you are sanitizing with the pads in correct? Also, are you soaking the pads first, then running the sanitizing water through...or is that your soaking process.

Thanks!

Comment

My Process

I run hot water through everything first (hoses, filter, pads). Then purge with CO2. The I run sanitizer through everything (Peracetic acid). I follow that up with another CO2 purge, then run beer through the filter. I figure using the hot water then the cool sanitizer is going to give me a nice tight seal on my filter.

Cheers,
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X