DIY Keg cleaning idea question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Keg cleaning idea question

Starting a Small Nano, and we are looking into the logistics of keg cleaning, Ive seen the thread beat to death but I just have to ask one question.

Our brite is just like our operation TINY! Here is my idea just let me know if it is flawed.

-Fill brite with cleaning solution
    -Leave C02 at 5-10psi (create pressure)
    -fill kegs with cleaning solution
    -rinse and repeat

In theory would it not clean our brite and kegs?

Thanks from a small timer!

CO2 and Caustic

Most cleaners are caustic based, so CO2 will neutralize them. You could use an oxygen-based cleaner or an inert gas like nitrogen. Be sure to get it so every part soaks in cleaner - hard to get the top of the tank, etc. with soaking.

Comment

Look out!

Not only will CO2 neutralize caustic (alkaline) cleaning products, the CO2 dissolves in the caustic solution with amazing speed! If your bright tank does not have a vacuum breaker, the vacuum created will collapse your bright tank before you can say "Presto"!

Never mix caustic cleaners and CO2 in a sealed vessel!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

YAY Oh the fun stuff you learn! Thank you guys!

Comment

I can't find it, but someone posted some questions about, and pictures of, a bright tank they collapsed by using caustic in a CO2 filled, unvented tank....
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

l am in the process of building a keg washer myself and posed this question to my chemical sales guy who also happens to be a chemist. After his long technical speech he said yes caustic does change CO2 but it would take 1 pound of CO2 (gas) to change caustic. Now, think how much volume it would take to make 1 pound of CO2 gas. But, he also said the CO2 changes the caustic to a strong alkaline cleaner sorry the chemical name escapes me. But he said it would be a very effective cleaner in and of itself.

With that said I am going to use CO2 to move out my caustic that way I will not have to worry about dirty air or contamination.So, unless you are going to run a damn good air dryer to clean the moisture and oils out of the air you might want to consider using CO2. And I do agree with other safety concerns expressed here

Cheers
            Mike
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Just take the spears out and clean them if your strapped for cash. Not that hard to do.

Comment

Now if I have done my calculations correctly, a 50 litre keg of CO2 will neutralise 6 litres of 1.5% w/v caustic to sodium carbonate, which isn't anything like as good at cleaning as sodium hydroxide.

You can get so call neutral detergents which avoid the worst of this problem, so the detergent can be re-used far more times before it needs to be dropped.
                dick

Comment

Dick Yes it was sodium carbonate. But his calculations was based on weight not volume. And I have no idea how much volume it would be to make 1 pound of CO2 gas but it would be huge to change 2 pounds (about 12 gallons) of caustic to as you said sodium carbonate. And you are also correct that it is not as effective of cleaner but it does not render it useless (destroy it) as I and others thought.

So, I will stick with CO2 to move caustic vs worrying about what the air compressor might be getting in my kegs. Usually I get about 50 kegs clean on 8 gallons of caustic before it needs changed so I dont think much caustic has been changed to sodium carbonate.

CHeers
                  Mike Eme
                  Brewmaster

Comment

1 lb. CO2 =~8 cu. ft. at STP.
                    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Just finished cleaning 28 1/6bbl by pulling the spears. Takes about 15 min each. One plus is that you know how clean the keg is...
                      Prost!
                      Eric Brandjes
                      Cole Street Brewery
                      Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Sent a PM .

Comment

Originally posted by Brandjes View Post
                          Just finished cleaning 28 1/6bbl by pulling the spears. Takes about 15 min each. One plus is that you know how clean the keg is...
                          I'm guessing you purge your kegs with CO2 after reassembling?

We use an acid/detergent solution from Birko (Ultra-Niter with X-Puma) with a semi-auto keg washer from Premier Stainless. This allows to use CO2 to purge the kegs between washing cycles and eliminates the risk of oxygen ever entering the kegs.
                          Jason Schlebach
                          Brewer
                          Pelican Brewing Company
                          Tillamook, Oregon

Comment

Yes. Purge with CO2 after reassembly.
                            Prost!
                            Eric Brandjes
                            Cole Street Brewery
                            Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Working...