Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a new location

How's it going?

So, I've been running a successful nano-brewery operation for a little over a year, and am trying to expand capacity, and move into a bigger space.

I've found this property for sale, that as it is progressing, seems that it will get a green light to operate (with zoning and board approval). The space is going to need some upgrades (no drainage, need to lay cement over half the floor, and water coming out of a well - thinking of a reverse osmosis system).

Now here's the question - the space is a pole barn built in 1976. It's basically an 1800 square foot structure that is clad in corrugated steel for the walls and roof, with a wooden frame interior with beams that do not look to have been treated and left to age over the years. It looks old and dusty in there, and with the exposed beams...... I'm wondering if anybody on the forum would view this as an unsuitable environment to brew in (or more specifically, to ferment in).

In general, I have a 'push it through and make it happen' attitude, but sometimes it backfires. The nano-brewery all worked out fine, even though I pulled some less than conventional angles. This is quite a larger investment - so I'm curious if you all have any opinions either way. I will take any feedback, positive or negative. Again, good sized space, good price, but with the exposed wooden frame holding the walls and roof up.

My first thought is it connected to a sewer system. Having to deal with a septic tank creates all kinds of problems.
    Next, it is in the middle of nowhere? If you are going to have a taproom, you want people to be able to get there.
    Maybe find an experienced brewer in the local area that can give you feedback.
    Good luck.
    Mike Lanzarotta
    Commercial Real Estate Broker
    finding space for breweries in Southern California
    former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Are you intending to keep the same brewhouse equipment, just add maybe some more fermenters and cold space or something? Will there be on-site tasting? How big's that space? Is it insulated? Heated? Cooled? Will it be ass cold in there all winter or 120 in the summer? Do you have a system to regulate fermentation temperature in that case?

If you're just producing there, then 1800 sqft is tight but reasonable, ish. Huge compared to some nanos I've seen. But if you intend to produce at any decent volume it's too small. Unless you can park a shipping container or two outside or something for extra storage.

The health dept might give you grief for the exposed wood. Wet + untreated wood = mold. And they often aren't wild about you washing glassware with well water.

And if it's on septic, just move along.... My $0.02.
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

My concern would the exposed wood carry mold or you thinking of sealing them.

Comment

Working...
        X