Kombucha storage near brewery yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha storage near brewery yeast

We're a brewpub opening sometime this summer and are considering serving kombucha from one of our 10 taps, possibly for a short time until I get enough beer to ready to replace it, or depending on popularity, perhaps more permanently. We would run it from a keg in the walk-in, but that is also where I'll store yeast in between batches. Am I running a great risk of infection, say if the keg leaks, etc.? Makes me nervous. An alternative would be serving the kombucha in growlers, or bottles. Thanks --
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Kombucha

Hey there,

I brewed Kombucha commercially for almost 8 years. For 6 years we fermented kombucha in the same space as our mead and beer with no issues. We have shared a keggerator and walk in coolers with kegs of alcohol and kegs of kombucha with no issues. Yes, you could have issues in the keg lines if you dont clean them thoroughly with hot water, detergent, more hot water, and sanitizer (i recommend iodine), but proper kegs do not leak and a small spill would not compromise yeast in sealed containers.

Do all you can to separate the kombucha liquid from any other liquid, then relax and enjoy your pints!!

Kombucha on tap is so much better than bottles!!

Just my opinion, good luck!

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Sam. It certainly looks like the risk is low, given common (brewer's) sense. -- Cheers, Dave
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
      X