Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan MLCC Brewery Permits Time table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan MLCC Brewery Permits Time table?

Thought I would tap the genius that I often see frequenting these boards.

Im in process of opening a very small brewery in Michigan right now. We have our location, system on order etc.. Currently we are applying for our brewers permit. Anyone have experience with dealing with the MLCC in michigan ? How long is the process expected to last? Anyone experience difficulties?

Thanks so much in advance
    swami

Michigan small Brewer

HI:

The only ones I can recommend is Fred Schumacher (Schumacher Associates)
    [on this forum as FerdiS) in Frankenmuth and Mike O'Brian from Pico Brewing in Ann Arbor.
    Good Luck,

Fred

Comment

Michigan Contact

Fred,

My friend Barry Johnson just opened a small brewery in Michigan, opening maybe just two months ago. The name of the brewery is Sagatuck Brewing Company and the website is the same name I believe. Barry is a very congenial guy and would be more than happy to help a home-stater. Drop him an email and tell him Jamie Fulton from Texas referred you. Barry's email is brumstr@comcast.net

Hope that helps,

Jamie
      The Covey Restaurant & Brewery
      Fort Worth, TX

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Hi,

The MLCC quotes 30-90 days. I'd plan on at least ninety. If I recall, Barry's permit virtually flew through. Very lucky! Mine took roughly six months, and Joe Short's about a year. I don't think I even heard back from the MLCC until almost 90 days. They'll give you list of additional things you need to take care of and more information they'll need. This may take you time to do / gather. In my case I had additional delays related to completing construction of the brewery. Unlike the Feds, the MLCC will not issue a brewing license until final inspection of the completed brewing facility. After a complete review of all forms and requested info, and a favorable inspection, your investigating agent will pass the paperwork up to Lansing for final committee review. If I recall the committee only meets a couple of times a month, or maybe set its it agenda every couple of weeks or something, but in any case it may take a little while (week or two?) before they review and hopefully approve(!) your application.

Call if you would like more info,
        Aloha,
        Ron
        Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
        Dexter, MI

Comment

fed vs. state

Ron,

How were thefeds to deal with? I've heard that they take even longer. I've got a project in Macomb county, and I haven't even gotten to licensing, and it's killing me how long this is taking. Also when should I apply; when I sign a lease, when I start construction, or when my systems in place?

Any help greatly appreciated,
          Thanks,
          Ray
          Ray Sherwood
          Sherwood Brewing Company
          Shelby Township, MI
          f.586.532.9337

Comment

Hello Ray,

I suppose I was lucky with the Fed. My application for a brewers notice was approved in 45-60 days, if I recall. You should definitely start on the paperwork as soon as possible. As for the lease, ahhh, the first of many conundrums I encountered in opening my brewery. You need a physical brewery location for licensing, and yet all agencies (the MLCC most stridently) will suggest / warn against investing any money or making lease type commitments before receiving approval. I never was able to figure that one out. I needed a lease to secure financing, and a concrete address for my Fed Brewers Notice. I needed a complete and ready to function brewery for MLCC approval. So how does one do this without investing any money? Beats me. The MLCC won't approve you until you have your Fed Brewers Notice, and your Brewers Notice is contingent upon state approval. So which came first? The chicken or the, well, you know. (The reality is you need your Brewers Notice first)

Give a call if you like Ray.
            Aloha,
            Ron
            Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Working...
            X