wyeast 1272 strain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyeast 1272 strain.

Does anybody else use this yeast strain and store it in brinks? And if you do, do you get crazy pressure build up in those brinks as well. Right now we use 1/2 BBL kegs retro-fitted for brinks.

Cheers
    Jim

Subscribed

I store in slim quarter kegs, with an airlock. With 1272, if I fill them up more than 3/4 of the way, yeast will blow out the top of the airlock.
    Mark Thomas
    Vault Brewing

Comment

Yeah Mark, that is one thing i have started doing different, not filling the brink all the way full. I have a pressure gauge and a pressure relief valve rated for 15psi that helps regulate the pressure. Sometimes there is some yeast that overflows, but i have been noticing now that i am giving more room for expansion for the strain, that no yeast flows out.

How long do you store your yeast in the brinks for? I try to get it used before 10 days. We have five brinks, so i can staygger the generations alittle better that way.

Cheers
      Jim

Comment

I try to use it before 2 weeks. What's the temperature you are storing the brinks? 34F is the recommended temperature, as it gets warmer, viability decreases.
        Mark Thomas
        Vault Brewing

Comment

We store our brinks in 34 degree temp as well. We also pull out our brinks the day before pitching to make sure yeast is warmed up and will not be shocked. Do you use any type of agitation techniques to help keep slurry accurate?

jim

Comment

what is your procedure with warming up the brinks? How early do you pull the brink out before you were to use it to in-line pitch?

we are having some issues with wake up times. but when we pull yeast from a crashed fermenter the wake up time is normal

Comment

we let them warm up in the brewery for about 6-8 hrs before we pitch to ensure the yeast is within 10F of the wort.
              Mark Thomas
              Vault Brewing

Comment

Gotcha. maybe we set them out to long?

I will pull the brinks generally a day before we use for in-line. When we pitch from cone to cone we use 2.5 gallon bags
                and will pull them at the beginning of our shift, and then they warm up fast enough, and we will generally see wake up rather quickly , 12-18 hours.

what is your wake-up time when pitching in brinks if you dont mind me asking?

Jim
                Greenbush Brewing CO

Comment

Working...
                X