Slow Accounts - What do YOU do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Accounts - What do YOU do?

So we've got an account: fine dining restaurant, maybe 40 seats, has two of our beers on tap plus another two at a little bar, maybe six, eight stools. Great food, romantic, fancy kinda place, big wine list, been around a long while.

They go through a 50 of our IPA and a sixtel of our Kolsch every three months. Similar fine dining, wine heavy, etc., restaurants right nearby kick one to three sixtels a week.

I'm sure we've all got places like this.

At first I was like "Man, they suck. What the hell?" but I've kinda come to see it as our problem as much as theirs. Are we not motivating them, or giving them the tools to really sell our beer? Been thinking about approaching with a "Hey! How about we send our salesperson over to teach your staff all about The Wonderful World of Beer? Then you can sell more and make more $$$! They say Beer and Food is the Next Big Thing..." and so on. But without coming across like, "And we're doing this because you failed Restaurant. What is it with you and FAILURE?"

So ProBrewers, what do you do?
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Education is a great thing, but you may also want to consider giving them smaller kegs. The more they know about your beer, the more they will push it.

Comment

Yeah for sure the bartender(s)... the faster you can get on their good side and have them liking your beer the faster your beer will be out the door. That said if it's wine heavy I'd maybe talk to them and schedule a multiple course beer dinner with them. That might open some more staffs eyes and they might start pushing the beer more.

Comment

Yeah restaurants are funny sometimes. If you bought a 15 gallon tub of mayonnaise and didn'y use it all before it went bad, next time you'd buy the smaller size! But apparently beer never goes bad, and 'The Bigger One Is Cheaper'. :/

So you're in a situation where it's like "Hey, so how about you buy the smaller, more expensive size because you aren't selling this fast enough." Yes, you could talk about hop aromas and oxidation, staling and freshness, but they're going immediately on the defensive with "Oh really, well Competitor Brewery doesn't care if the beer sits around for six months, maybe it's time I go back to them..."
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I try to visit my restaurant accounts once a month to eat (I only have 6 right now - so not that hard). I ask the server and bartenders how the beer is going and if I can do anything for them and I tip good. It seems the more they feel like they know me (aka the brewery) the more exited they are to promote it. It's good to know the owners but it's the staff who will move the product.
          I also work hard to push my tasting room customers to the restaurants. Having a tap at a restaurant where they know me is probably my best advertising. I try to reciprocate as much as I can.
          I also do as many brewers nights as I can. As a patron - always disappointing to go to a brewers night only to meet the distributors sales reps. Meeting the brewer is great.
          As for wine focused restaurants - In general it always makes it easier to order a beer when you see someone else drinking one.
          That's all for now. Time to open the tasting room.
          Prost!
          Eric Brandjes
          Cole Street Brewery
          Enumclaw, WA

Comment

I agree with Eric, you can learn a lot by sitting at the bar or at a table and watching how service happens at the restaurant. And it is absolutely imperative that you tip well, meaning over 20% every time. You should also get in the habit of leaving your business card around each time you stop in, the owner and managers may end up seeing it repeatedly and think better of you, thus being open to new ideas when you bring them. If you and/or your sales rep visit a couple of times you will not only make a connection with the staff but also see how they are serving the beer and get some insight as to why it is doing so poorly.

I own two restaurants and I appreciate it very much when I see brewery or distributor reps eating in our places, and I definitely give those reps that support me more time and mindshare when they want to meet.

For example:

Is the beer listed on the food or wine menus?
            If so is it described as local?
            How is it priced relative to other beers?
            What kind of glass are they using?
            What menu items might pair well with your beers?

And then you could offer:
            A growler or two to the chef to use in a braise and then mention on the menu.
            A beer dinner opportunity.
            Coupons for a free pint at your tasting room for the staff members or, better yet, a custom tour just for the staff.
            Casual information about your beers and brewery. The staff will work harder for you just because they met you and you are nice guy (as defined by tipping well).
            Branded glassware or just a really nice beer glass that would present your beers well in the restaurant.

Good luck!

Comment

That's a very small restaurant. How may handles do they have in total?

If you want to improve volumes organize an event at the space and get them excited about your beer.

You may also consider just not having your beer in that account. If they have too many handles and not enough seats then no ones beer is turning over.
              Owner
              Grind Modern Burger
              PostModern Brewers
              Boise, ID

Comment

Working...
              X