PDA

View Full Version : What type of schooling have you had?

BrianU21
09-13-2005, 12:43 PM
What type of schooling have you had?

none/on the job
homebrewing
Siebel / American Brewers Guild
college degree (biochem, food science, etc...)

Graydon
01-16-2006, 09:44 PM
All of these

theburden
01-16-2006, 09:49 PM
You can only vote for one?

Homebrewing
On Job

Does a Film degree in Cinematography count towards brewing credit?

beauxman
01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
All four of these.
-Beaux

RobZamites
01-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Just homebrewing and OJT. I'm going to do the either the ABG or Siebel Short course someday.

BMOOR
01-17-2006, 07:18 AM
all four of these

GlacierBrewing
01-17-2006, 07:51 AM
All four of these....

tariq khan
01-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Brewlab certificate(University of Sunderland U.K.)
General Certificate in Brewing and Packaging (Brewers Guild)

tarmadilo
01-17-2006, 06:25 PM
A couple of years of homebrewing, worked at the AoB in Boulder for a few months at the end of that period (even went to Charlie Papazian's house for a staff party once!), then had on-the-job training at my first two brewing jobs.

I got a lot of practical experience and knowlege that way, but if I was gonna do it over, I'd get a degree in microbiology first!

Cheers, Tim

crassbrauer
03-08-2006, 06:50 AM
All of the above except "Siebel / American Brewers Guild" (Weihenstephan instead)

steveoatley
11-03-2006, 08:00 AM
I was wondering if I could get some more people to Post
to this forum..... Try and get a couple more opinions?

I am having a similar problem - Stuck between Dead End Jobs.
I've been a homebrewer for 3 years, and have that similiar Pipe Dream?
Opening my own BrewPub. My wife has mistakenly encouraged me to
follow my dream. SO....

Should I go to school at Siebel or ABG ( I'd have to quite current job )
or Should I get a Degree in Resturant Managment - go that route ?
or Should I get the Science Degree - something to do with Yeast ?
( both I could do while still employeed )

And right now I am stuck in Michigan-can't leave wife got good job,for now.

I'm looking at Siebel or ABG - their Web based courses. They don't offer a
summer course schedual - I have the summers off. I did offer to work
for free at area Brew Pubs this last summer - only one took me up on it.
Just one day?
I'm forty - wife - no kids yet - ca I make any money at this??
Or should I just Drive a Truck.?? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

People are always asking Kids "What do you want to be when You grow Up"
Thats because they are looking for Ideas ~~!!

Steve

Ted Briggs
11-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey guys- there are over 1400 views to this thead and only 80 votes??? It could be that most people would have multiple answers to this question, but come-on, it only takes a click...

terminal_v_stou
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
ABG and home brewing experience,

Steffan
11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey, I voted a year ago. I can't remember what I voted but I am also one of those multi-catagoried individuals. Hombrewed for ten or so years, three years practical experience at a couple of local micros, lots of books read (De Clerck, Noonan, Daniels, Papazian) then the double whammie of Rainier closing and then Olympia flooded the labor market so no jobs for me! The wife told me to either shut up or start my own brewery. I didn't shut up. No regrets.

Steffan
Aldergrove Brewery

liammckenna
11-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Three of the above.

Pax.

Liam

jason.koehler
11-06-2006, 10:49 PM
On the Job
Home Brewing
Some short courses at Siebel

2 college degrees that help with sales and marketing, but do squat for brewing ;)

kayemkerner
11-07-2006, 05:56 AM
college degree (in something completely irrelevant)
apprenticed under a "master" (sensai, i says)
read every book twice
looking for the time to school it up for paper pieces....

other than that, made it out of being an apprentice without injuring my hands and have been turning to the books ever since....well that and probrewer.com.......

so, i guess, that's a thank you to you guys and girls out there that either know more than i or have "been there done that."

k. m.

Jephro
11-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Homebrewing, on the job, and actually dropped out of college just short of a degree to take my first brewing job. No regrets so far...still trying to make it out west tho.
mmm..Mountains & Beer
Jeff

mooneyray
11-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Does the master brewers program at UCD count? If not I'd like a refund!
Otherwise I'm four for four mang!

MatthewS
01-05-2007, 07:20 AM
I started as a homebrewer, but increased my knowledge a thousand fold when working as an assistant.

Matthew
Offshore Ale
Martha's Vineyard

Scott M
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
You can only vote for one?

Homebrewing
On Job

Me too, plenty of hours brewing and developing recipies, lots of books and hours of donated time to any brewer gracious enough to let me help in the brewery.

South County
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
All but formal college degree.

beerking1
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I have been homebrewing for 25 years; I have pitched in and brewed a few times at local micros; I've read just about every major homebrewing "textbook" at least once, and I am about to take a crack at De Clerk (won the set for a BOS win last fall).
I have 2 degrees: Bachelors in Physics, Masters in International Security and Strategic studies. Not much help there for brewing...unless I am planning on invading the nearest competitor! :D
Anyway, I start a part time gig at a brewpub next month when the installation of the 3 BBL DME system is complete. (Wish me luck)
I am keeping my day job!

-Beerking
Battlefield Brewing Co.

Fred Scheer
02-24-2009, 05:20 AM
:)

Growing up in Germany, I went through an 3 year Apprentiship and graduated as Brewer and Maltster.
Than took 24 months in all aspects of Brewing and Malting.

Than went to Armee............................................. .....

Than went on a 4 semester study at Doemens Brewing Academy in Grafelfing [Munich] graduating as Brew and Maltmaster.

Cheers

Fred

Todd
02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I wouldn’t recommend using your statistical findings for your career path. As you are already seeing, from the results, the mix is fairly even. It really depends on your current academic success and academic background. If you haven’t had any natural science based courses, I wouldn’t recommend enrolling in a science-based program geared toward fermentation science or engineering. Siebel Diploma Course and AGB are not as in depth in science or mathematics as UC Davis (Master Brewers Program) or an undergraduate degree in fermentation science. At age 40 you are probably better off getting hands on experience first and then going back to school however, this approach can be difficult to do because most brewing companies are looking for someone with either OJT or school.

Regards,

GlacierBrewing
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Anyway, I start a part time gig at a brewpub next month when the installation of the 3 BBL DME system is complete. (Wish me luck)
I am keeping my day job!

-Beerking
Battlefield Brewing Co.

NO! Quit your day job. Throw yourself into the brewpub job.
"upon reaching the New World, the ships were burned to inspire the men to survive!"

my two cents.....
dave

Yellowhammer
02-24-2009, 10:13 PM
All of the Above

beerking1
02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
NO! Quit your day job. Throw yourself into the brewpub job.
"upon reaching the New World, the ships were burned to inspire the men to survive!"

my two cents.....
dave

That would mean letting my house go into foreclosure, since there is no way I could make the payments. Probably lose the cars to at this point.
Then again, I hear Obama would pay my mortgage. ;)

shortz
10-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I have 3 of the above and taking care of #4 this February at Siebel's. I hope it works cause I am also putting my house on it. It's too expensive but the options are not much better. So when you are on thin ice you may as well dance. ...I am also the product of my wife saying I have to do it cause it's a good idea. Damn weak man.

altamont brewer
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Start w/ hb, get a degree and then go on to a brew school. Or grab a hose and get to it...:)

wilsan
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I have 3 of the above and taking care of #4 this February at Siebel's. I hope it works cause I am also putting my house on it. It's too expensive but the options are not much better. So when you are on thin ice you may as well dance. ...I am also the product of my wife saying I have to do it cause it's a good idea. Damn weak man.

I realize this post originated over 4 years ago, but found it interesting and still relevant.

BrianU21, I'm not sure if you're still interested in this poll, but for me it's 3 of 4, and will also be working on #4 this Feb. (Shortz - I'll be right there with you at Siebel!) To think that this time last year, I was in the Navy on board a submarine, and now I'm chasing my dream, working at a brewery, and getting a brewing education. I realize I may not get rich in the brewing industry, but I suppose that's not why many of us are in this. After all, I've realized that (at least for me), wealth does not lie in money, but in waking up every day and enjoying what you do - and I LOVE brewing.

So BrianU21 and to everyone out there looking to chase their dreams - Good Luck!!

Cheers/Slainte/Prosit/Salud/etc.

Brian, I'm curious as to your status and to where life has led your pursuit.

JDrum
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I took a 2-day homebrewing course recently through UC Davis...:D

Been homebrewing for a little while, and am lucky enough to have a brewer friend that is teaching me on a 10 bbl system...

fa50driver
08-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Bachelors in Agriculture
Flight School
Real Estate Broker
Several years of home brewing

But there is nothing like starting your own company for on the job training

banjolawyer
08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
Juris Doctorate
Master of Science, Public Health

and look where that has led me...

ValiantBrewing
09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineer
Associate in Arts, Automotive Technology
NHRA Licensed Driver, Super Comp/Top Eliminator

I've logged over ten years of working in the Aerospace industry as a test engineer doing my best to break flight hardware. Worked hard and put 110% into my job. I've sometimes worked 80hr weeks with a standard salary pay for 40hrs, it just comes with the gig! I've had the stress of being the sole person responsible for holding up first flight planes on the runway with supporting contractors, government workers, and owners standing around and knowing that billions of dollars is just sitting there because our part failed. :eek:

Well, I guess I'm at that mid life crises stage in that I very much dislike going to work every day, aerospace that is. I fell into the trace of brewing about 6yrs ago homebrewing and never looked back. I've never been so passionate about one thing before, truly a gift and one that I want to harvest and re-direct my life with.

I just attended ABG this year graduated in June 2010. My wife and I are in full swing to opening up a production brewery in California and pray each and every day that we can pull it off. Things just take more time than expected with our startup and working at my paying job however the ultimate goal of being a brewery owner and head brewer is one that I'll stop at nothing to obtain. Education to me is important, it’s the key that unlock knowledge. With knowledge nothing can stop my dreams!

OK I'll stop, perhaps I got off topic a little bit - sorry.

Brian Schroepfer
Valiant Brewing Company

mmussen
11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
3 of 4...

But I think all of us end up with some on the job training regardless of the rest of the education.

As for college - That mainly happened because the ABG wanted a college degree, So Food Science it was - And it doesn't hurt that UC Davis does offer an emphasis in Brewing Chemistry...

coolguywalt
01-10-2011, 05:40 AM
OJT, homebrewing

Got started homebrewing, got into an Asst. Brewers position and going to be starting ABG this month. Where's all the time gone?

Lagergnome
12-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Homebrewing and work would be my answer, but you left out another option. Learning from others that are far more knowledgeable than you. I have met technical brewers that can churn out beer like robots, but when it comes to troubleshooting or altering recipes, they are lost. The best knowledge I possess was acquired through trial & error, asking experienced brewers and hashing out ideas with friends. If you are a passionate, talented, self-educated homebrewer with the drive to go pro, start volunteering as Mash Monkey at your local brewery.

dick murton
12-05-2011, 01:42 AM
"I have met technical brewers that can churn out beer like robots, but when it comes to troubleshooting or altering recipes, they are lost."

They are not technical brewers then. They are just operators. A non thinking operator is no use to man nor beast.

Pompeiisneaks
12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I've got a Civil Engineering background (But never finished a degree) and I went into IT later... I'm still in IT but wanting a change... to what I'm passionate about. Brewing ;) (and Beer of course). I started homebrewing way back in college 20 yrs ago, but recently went to using an all automated HERMS system and love it, all grain 10 gallon batches. Been doing that for years now. I got to spend a week brewing at an old army buddies brewery (Its not his, but he works there, timbro on the forums here, at Marshall Brewery in Tulsa OK) They make awesome beer, and I learned a TON in a week, made me realize that I still need to learn like 10 metric tons more, but much thanks to all three at Marshall that helped. Tim, Eric (Owner/Brewmaster) and Taylor such awesome peeps!

Lagergnome
05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
"I have met technical brewers that can churn out beer like robots, but when it comes to troubleshooting or altering recipes, they are lost."

They are not technical brewers then. They are just operators. A non thinking operator is no use to man nor beast.

Well put Dick. I started brewing commercially in 1999 and still learn something new about every other day ;)

BelgianBrews
05-15-2012, 07:20 AM
BSc Microbiology
Brewmaster VLB
On the job
Homebrewing

I started homebrewing in college, and I went to Germany to study brewing after spending 2.5 years getting my boots wet. I think it made the education much more worthwhile, and I am a better brewer because of it. An education/training/experience path that is right for one person might not be right for another. I think each person has to find their own path to determine what will make them the best brewer they can be.

Ziggy-san
05-29-2012, 08:34 AM
All of the above. Recently completed Diploma in Brewing & Distilling, should be finished with the MSc by August.