Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryhopping.....?

Howdy Hi all,
    I'm going to be making an ale and it needs to be dry-hopped. Question is this: How long do I leave the beer "on hops" before I filter? One day, two days, more? This is for a commercial beer, 10bbls, amber-ish style.
    Thanks for any input.
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Now that I'm in a production brewery, I tend to give the dry hops at least two days. When I was in a pub situation, I liked to give them about five days. But two days will give your beer a good aroma.
    Steve Donohue
    Brewmaster
    Santa Clara Valley Brewing

Comment

I think you will find the time required will vary with temperature. I have dry hopped for approximately 48 hours when the beer is still warm, undergoing its diacetyl rest / warm maturation before it was cooled ready for racking or filtration. I know others have used similar times when warm, but have had to extend it another 24 hours if the hops were added when at filtration temperature of around zero deg C.

I other words - my experience agrees with Steves pretty closely

Cheers
      dick

Comment

Dry hopping

I've had reasonably good success dry-hopping with pellets (our 100 bbl fermenter size make it tough to hang bags, or use loose, whole-leaf) by adding them at the end of primary and diacetyl rest, just before crashing and pressurizing the tank. So, the beer is cold and on hops for the two weeks or so of conditioning.

Hope this helps.

Nate

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
        Howdy Hi all,
        I'm going to be making an ale and it needs to be dry-hopped. Question is this: How long do I leave the beer "on hops" before I filter? One day, two days, more? This is for a commercial beer, 10bbls, amber-ish style.
        Thanks for any input.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X