yeast brinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast brinks

How soon before pitching in-line should i pull a brink out to let the yeast warm up. I use a retro fitted 1/2bbl and we store our brinks
    at 34-36 degrees F.

Thanks

Jim

I've always thought of this chart and decided it doesn't really matter: http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-con...andCooling.pdf
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Hmmm. I never saw that chart before. But somehow I am getting a difference in wake-up when i use in-line from brink and
      when i pull yeast from a crashed fermenter (33F)

Jim
      Greenbush Brewing CO

Comment

I think that is more of a result of time between ferments versus temperature.

Comment

To be honest if you're storing your yeast in a 1/2bbl keg I'd probably either pull the fermenter out at the very start of the day if you're double-batch filling your fermenter and pitching after your second batch or, if you're single-batching, pull out your keg the night before you pitch. It takes a LONG time to raise your yeast up to pitching temperature and we've made the mistake of waiting too long to pull out our stored yeast before.

Comment

I've always just pitched the yeast cold w/ no problems. As pointed out in a chart above, it takes a LONG time to bring up that much thermal mass.

On the other hand, our slurries are generally pretty thick...so I usually very slowly run some of the wort into the brink while shaking/swirling to get the mixture thinner. My thought process is this also might help the yeast acclimatize to the warmer wort.

Comment

Warm it up

Warm it up to pitching temp. That what I always did and what my reading suggested. I do not think I can document a problem using cold yeast- larger system now - but, why ever take a chance?

Comment

In 20 years of brewing (home and pro) I've never had a problem pitching cold. 35 degrees right out of the cold room.

Comment

Every thing I've read/come across suggest yeast do not like rapid temperature changes; more than 10°f at a time. They will still do the job but they tend to express subtle differences, something about heat shock proteins. Not 100% about how this presents itself in the beer, head retention issues, more staling precursors, flavor masking/neutralizing, less attenuation. We have been letting our yeast come to temp by taking it out of storage ahead of time. If heat shock is a beer negative issue it is one that is easy to avoid, just take your brink out of the walk in ahead of time.
                  First time, Long time.
                  Matchless Brewing
                  Three Magnets Brewing
                  Olympia WA

Comment

Working...
                  X