Inline Dosing of Dry yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline Dosing of Dry yeast

I typically propagate liquid yeast for all of my ales and have great success with this technique. I have one variety of beer that I brew that I pitch new dry yeast for every batch. I typically will add one brick per 8 barrels of wort directly into the fermenter.

I now have 45 bbl and 60 bbl fermenters. I don't want to dump 7 bricks into a fermenter and cross my fingers that it all gets rehydrated. I'm looking into inline dosing units to directly dose the yeast on its way to the fermenter. Does anyone have experience with this? Brands? Size? Best installation?

We have some 1/3 bbl (50l) yeast brinks which we rehydrate and blow into the tank. Does it necessarily need to be inline? We either go in on the otherside of a tee or straight into the port on the cone.
    Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
    Sydney, Aust
    scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by scmorgan View Post
      We have some 1/3 bbl (50l) yeast brinks which we rehydrate and blow into the tank. Does it necessarily need to be inline? We either go in on the otherside of a tee or straight into the port on the cone.
      We have done this type of rehydration, on smaller batches with mixed results. I think it will be very difficult to rehydrate the volume of yeast needed for a 60 bbl (70 hl) batch. I also believe that I will get the best rehydration with dosing very small amounts of yeast over a specified time, inline. I know other breweries are practicing this. I'd like more info on this technique

Comment

The usual recommended rehydration ratio on dry yeast is 10ml/g dry. So that's about 5L per brick. Times six that's about 8 gallons. A standard converted 1/2bbl keg yeast bring would work just fine.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

what kind of yeast propagator equipment do you guys use? Is it something like a fermenter tank jacketed and insulated?

About the yeast dosing tank,is it OK to make it like a fermenter and connected with a dosing pump to manage the dosage and then connect with the fermenter cone? Can this achieve inline dosing?
          Appreciate it if you may share your experience.

Penny Jiang
          Cell:+86-18966261388
          Facebook: pennyjiang@msn.cn

Comment

The usual recommended rehydration ratio on dry yeast is 10ml/g dry. So that's about 5L per brick. Times six that's about 8 gallons. A standard converted 1/2bbl keg yeast bring would work just fine.
            This is essentially what we do. We clean/sanitize our "brink" and run off ~10x the weight (thanks metric system) of hot liquor the night before and let cool before re-hydrating late in the brewday. From there we'll either push into the fermentor during the first knock-out w/ N2 or just wait until the end and turn the racking arm upwards to get better dispersion. Not sure if that's even necessary, but doesn't take any extra time and it at least kinda makes sense to us.

And the reason for the water hydration is that I was under the impression a good deal of viability is lost when re-hydrating in wort vs water. May not be a problem for some, but we're doing 20-40 BBL batches with W-34/70 where a single pitch can cost ~$500-1000 so saving every viable cell we can is well worth it IMO!
            Last edited by CharlosCarlies; 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X