Keg estimates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg estimates.

I'm working the numbers for our new brewery, we plan to have 3 4BBL fermenters running... I'm trying to put a price on what our initial keg cost will be and so far...I'll just say the number has been astronomical! Definitely a little sticker shock going here. I originally had priced out 1/2BBL kegs but after some research realized the 1/16 were better to do business with (correct me if I am wrong) My question is am I not seeing the big picture? We're planning to run a 30-40 seat taproom and self distribute if we are producing enough to allow it, I assume we need enough kegs to hold at least 4BBLs x3 worth of beer... I think I'll need a loan JUST for my keg materials! It might just be wishful thinking but if anyone has an alternate to this please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a bigger taproom and forget keg sales.

Comment

Look into KegCredit

They supply brand new Franke kegs with your brewery logo added.

Get as many or as few as you wish.

Very reasonable lease rates.

Comment

I am definitely going to look into keg credit.

Thirsty_Monk, I am looking at a setup with serving tanks but then won't I be limited to serving as many different beers as I have serving tanks? And with no kegs, I'm afraid I'd run into bottle necking issues at some point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

You always have to have some kegs.

If you go with serving tanks it would be ideal if you have one serving tank per line. This would give you less time on cleaning but you need to have more money up front.

You could do a mix some serving tanks for volume beers and some kegs for slower beers.

I am no a fan of renting kegs.

In any way good luck.

Comment

If you are looking at leasing, also look at Atlas. I personally think what they're doing blows kegcredit away...
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, I think we are going to try and purchase some of the keg we need and lease the rest ( trying to find the happy medium between capital and cash flow) I did get a quote from keg credit for leasing, it was more than I expected. I am definitely going to check with Atlas next.

Comment

As an update... After speaking with Atlas and receiving quotes we've decided that we will definitely be doing business with them. They have plans that can be tailored to fit out exact needs. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Forgive me if I'm not following your math, but I'm reading it as you'll be getting enough kegs for 3 fermenters at 4BBL each? Is that correct? If so, you should really think about more kegs than that. That does cover your first three brews, but it doesn't mean you'll have enough empty kegs available when your fourth, fifth, etc., brew is ready. If you don't have a place to put the beer when it's done, everything stops until you do. If you're self-distributing, it means you're calling and driving all over town trying to find your empties hoping to get enough. I know kegs can be a pricey purchase but better to be plan ahead than get caught behind.

Good luck!

Comment

I re-read what I wrote and I can see how you have misinterpreted, we are getting enough for 9 batches. 150 1/4bbl kegs to be exact. Does that make more sense?

Comment

Working...
                    X