Pilsen Malt Substitution - 2 or 6 row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilsen Malt Substitution - 2 or 6 row

We have a recipe with a 70% Pilsen base, but as a farm brewery, we are required to have 20% of our grain bill comprised of New York state grain. This means I must sub some Pilsner for the pale malt available. The question being, is 2-row or 6-row pale a better fit? My Google-foo has failed to give a definitive answer...

Thank you,

Jason
    Binghamton Brewing Co.
    Johnson City, NY

Originally posted by BingBrew View Post
    We have a recipe with a 70% Pilsen base, but as a farm brewery, we are required to have 20% of our grain bill comprised of New York state grain. This means I must sub some Pilsner for the pale malt available. The question being, is 2-row or 6-row pale a better fit? My Google-foo has failed to give a definitive answer...

Thank you,

Jason
    2-Row is a Summer Barley
    6-Row is a Winter Barley

2-Row grain is a bit bigger as the 6-Row grain.

It dosen't matter if you use 2-or 6-Row as long as the specs are right. Extract, Protein, Enzymic activity, Colour etc.

Most likely the specs of a 2-Row are better but there are high cultured 6-Row out there with very good specs.
    Jonas Kohberger
    Director/Headbrewer/Owner
    Nevada Cerveceria
    Minca
    Colombia

Comment

Brewer, Rocky River Brewing Co.

Since almost all pilsen malt is 2 row malt, you should use 2 row malt as the substitute, the lightest color 2 row you can get.

Comment

Thank you for the input... while I lean toward 2-row pale, I ultimately ended up using 6. It looks like 6-row will be the only thing readily available NY grown for a while, so I figured I would start out with what I'll have to use going forward. We'll see how it came out soon enough.

I appreciate the feedback, though!
        Binghamton Brewing Co.
        Johnson City, NY

Comment

Working...
        X