Who's chocolate malt do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's chocolate malt do you use?

... and how do you use it (mash? steep?) to get a rich chocolaty flavor?
    I've used Great Western, Briess and Dingemann's with less than satisfactory results.

Thanks in advance, and Brew Hard!
    Steffan
    Aldergrove Brewery
    Last edited by Steffan; 10-17-2005, 10:36 AM.

We use Pauls and Muntons Chocolate malt. They seem to be good malts but then again I haven't tried much else.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Currently using William Crisp chocolate, good chocolate flavor and some slight roastiness. I believe it is about a 600L malt vs. some other chocolates are 350-400L. Did not like the Pauls for chocolate malt (but do like the other malts they make), Briess is ok and they have a regular choco malt and a darker choco malt.

Comment

I had good results with Briess two-row chocolate in my robust porter. In my new startup, I think I'm going to give Crisp a try.
        "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

I have used both crisp and pauls with great results!!!!

Comment

I love the franco-belge, comes in at 375L for their choc. malt. nice chocolate flavor very little roast bitterness, w/ slight coffee tones.

Comment

Good results with Munton's on my Chocolate Stout.
              www.devilcraft.jp
              www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

I have used Briess, and currently use Hugh Baird Chocolate Malt. No problem with either for me.

Comment

Chocolate malt

I use the Bairds- color is 450 to 500 ASBC. I have used the Briess when GW was out of the Bairds- didn't like it as much, lots of husk and busted-up grain . I always add it to the mill with all the other specialty grains, and mash in a single infusion.
                  Last edited by pbutlert; 03-27-2006, 03:55 PM. Reason: didn't answer the post completely.
                  Paul Thomas
                  Brewer
                  Sockeye Brewing
                  www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Briess vs. Muntons

So I'm getting ready to buy some more chocolate malt. I've used Briess 2 Row up till now. It has 350L. Muntons is similar. There's choco malt and there's choco malt....can anyone who has used the two compare?
                    Last edited by Sulfur; 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Weyermann CaraFa Special Dehusked products.
                      Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by drewseslu
                        I'm a big fan of the Weyermann CaraFa Special Dehusked products.

..................I have to second with Weyermann; best flavors - just what you want!

Fred

Comment

I think the Muntons I get is normally around 330L

Comment

Have used Weyerman's, Munton's and Briess. All were different but good their own ways.

Currently using a blend of 2-row Chocolate and Dark Chocolate from Briess. I'm very happy with the results. It gives me lots of flexibility.
                            BrewerTL

Comment

There are several varieties of chocolate malt and I think the lovibond usually gives you the best indicator of their flavor. The US chocolate malts that are about 350 lovibond give a nice chocolate flavor. The lighter (usually belgian) chocolate malts that come in about 250 lovibond, I believe, give a milk chocolate type of flavor. The darker, usually english, chocolate malts usually give a dark chocolate/roasty flavor. US chocolate malts about 350 lovibond are my favorite but they all serve different purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X