PDA

View Full Version : Methanesulfonic acid



dukelukem
07-16-2014, 02:41 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the use of methanesulfonic acid instead of phosphoric acid as a cleaner/disinfectant?
Do you know if it's a no-rinse product or not? Any tips you have help greatly. Thanks.

jemthebrewer
07-21-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm an organic chemist by trade, and I am not sure why you would want to use methanesulfonic acid? I used to use it as a reagent in the chemistry lab. It is quite corrosive, more toxic (especially to aquatic life), and more expensive than phosphoric acid. I would not recommend using it.

dick murton
07-21-2014, 02:27 PM
I have never heard of this material before. Certainly judging by a quick look at (inevitably) Wikepedia, it doesn't appear to be in the slightest bit useful as a detergent or sanitiser. None of the chemical firms I have ever dealt with have ever mentioned this material. I should stick to the commonly used materials - formulated detergents and sanitisers using nitric, phosphoric and peracetic acids, sodium hydroxide, chlorine dioxide perhaps, or perhaps steam, hot water or even ozone. Then there are a number of other detergents sanitisers using other materials. The key requirement is that whatever you use is certified for food use when used at the correct concentrations and temperatures. Virtually all detergents and sanitisers have to be rinsed off before the plant is allowed to come into contact with wort, yeast, beer or other brewing materials.

I Sweden, I would expect you to be able to contact people like Diversey and Ecolab, who have lots of experience in the brewing industry. There are probably others around, but I have experience of both these companies, and you won't go wrong using them.

dick murton
07-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Oh yes, I meant to say, technically, phosphoric acid is not used as a sanitiser (disinfectant) though it will kill most brewery bugs. And it should be rinsed off as detergents based on H3PO4 always contain myriad other materials as well.

dukelukem
07-22-2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the answers!
We've just bought a small amount of this: http://webshop.rekal.se/templates/product.asp?ProductGuid=32340&GroupGuid=2001
Seems to work well for cleaning purposes, I'll try to get a hold of their technician to clarify things, their salesman didnt know anything about it...