Overview of Yeast Harvesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overview of Yeast Harvesting

Having always repitched new yeast as a home brewer, the process of harvesting yeast is new to me. I've tried doing some searching, and have started better understanding the process, but would love if someone could give me a quick overview of the process. i.e. How to pull the yeast out, when to pull it out, does it need to be washed, how best to store, etc.

Thank you!

Is this for small batching, or production sized harvesting?

-Jim

Comment

Sorry, should have specified. We will be brewing on a 10bbl system, 4 10bbbl fv and one 20bbl.

Comment

It's easy. Just keep everything clean.

Get or fabricate a couple dedicated brinks if you can. Pressure gauge and a co2 barb that lets you vent or add pressure is sweet. As are wheels. But if not, a keg will work. It's a good idea to rig up a tap to vent excess co2 into a sanitizer airlock-bucket. Otherwise you might get a firehose of dead, crushed yeast.

Ideally, harvest after crashing. But you can harvest warmer. (Say from an IPA you've dropped to 60 before dryhopping. Always harvest before dryhopping.) Yeast will have settled in the cone. Dump the bottom of the cone, it's dead yeast and trub. You'll start to see a creamier more uniform yeast. Harvest that by transfering it into your brink using pressure. Once it starts to get thin and runny through the sight glass stop harvesting and dump the rest of the powdery yeast.

Weigh the brink before and after, write down the amount of yeast on the back of a keg collar - Strain, Date, Generations, Amount. Stick 'er in the cold room. Try to use it within two weeks if you can. If you want you can do cell counts to check the amount and viability, which is usually a good idea after its been in storage for a bit.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

The yeast book is a good resource for this info, also BSI's website has some pretty good info on this subject too.

Comment

Working...
          X