Dry Yeast as House Strain - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Yeast as House Strain - Opinions?

Looking for opinions on the use of dry vs liquid yeast. The plan was to use #wlp001 as the house strain, then use specific strains for specialty beers, such as Belgian strong or hefeweizen. Since #wlp001 is a pretty clean yeast, I was wondering if it would be worth it to use a dry yeast instead, and then use liquid when I have a specific beer style to make. The main reason I'm contemplating this is cost, as I will not be as concerned in the beginning of harvesting and repitching since I'm sure I'll have more than enough other things to worry about when we start brewing. I'll be using the house strain for pale, amber, blonde, stout, ipa, dipa. Is this something that is a viable option, or am I better off just sticking to liquid?

We use dry Fermentis US-05 and have great success with it. Its cheap and has great shelf life if you want to order up in some bulk. We rehydrate about and hour before knockout and also use some O2. Short lag time and a strong, clean fermentation.

Comment

Originally posted by soia1138 View Post
      We use dry Fermentis US-05 and have great success with it. Its cheap and has great shelf life if you want to order up in some bulk. We rehydrate about and hour before knockout and also use some O2. Short lag time and a strong, clean fermentation.
      How much are you pitching? I see them recommend 50-80 g/hl

Comment

Dry yeast

I am a long time Wl001 user. Started using fermentis SA-5 about a year ago and have been very happy with results. Cheap, easy to use... might not go back. Their other varieties are also excellent .

Comment

Originally posted by FourSonsBrewing View Post
          How much are you pitching? I see them recommend 50-80 g/hl
          We pitch 500grams per 7bbl batch, so yes about on par with their recommendation. Hydrate at about 1 to 1.5 gallons per 500grams @ 80F

Comment

I visited a brewery using Fermentis Dry yeast, I am now convinced it can produce a quality brew. Like the price, shelf life and consistency. I will be purchasing several bricks next week for start up.

Lance
            Tonopah Brewing Co.
            Nevada

Comment

I also am considering using dry for speciality brews. I observed another brewery use it with hydrating it he just sprinkled it on top of the wort. Anyone do this? I know they recommend hydration but his beers tasted great?

CHeers
              Mike Eme
              Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
                I also am considering using dry for speciality brews. I observed another brewery use it with hydrating it he just sprinkled it on top of the wort. Anyone do this? I know they recommend hydration but his beers tasted great?

CHeers
                From what I have heard and seen the hydration mostly contributes to shorter lag times. Time is money so I'll take all I can get in a production environment. There is also a belief that the O2 is not needed as well but I have observed slightly stronger ferments and a lower resulting Ph with the O2.

Comment

S-04 is my house yeast. I pitch dry just prior to knockout, I always aerate. Have tried it without O2 aeration, actually xfering into fv via spray ball (O2 cylinder hadn't arrived and I had to brew) and it was slow to start. Pitching dry into fv and aerating wort I get a good, strong ferment. Always churning when I come in the next day

Comment

Agree on all points (especially the shelf life...so nice to have yeast sitting in the cooler at all times), but we don't add O2 on the first pitch (doesn't hurt though). After it's gone through fermentation we treat it just like a liquid strain and go back to O2 as normal. We also use W-34/70 for our lagers and one of them has won a few awards, so you can certainly make good beer with dry yeast. Only thing I don't like about W/34-70 is it's almost twice as expensive as S-05. Still cheaper than a pitchable liquid amount, however.

With that said and I hope someone can clarify, I do remember reading that dry yeast suppliers allow for a very, very slight acceptable amount of bacteria in the packaged product, so that might be something to watch if you plan on going many generations. We're looking into Chlorine Dioxide washing to negate this (potential) negative.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
                      Agree on all points (especially the shelf life...so nice to have yeast sitting in the cooler at all times), but we don't add O2 on the first pitch (doesn't hurt though). After it's gone through fermentation we treat it just like a liquid strain and go back to O2 as normal. We also use W-34/70 for our lagers and one of them has won a few awards, so you can certainly make good beer with dry yeast. Only thing I don't like about W/34-70 is it's almost twice as expensive as S-05. Still cheaper than a pitchable liquid amount, however.

With that said and I hope someone can clarify, I do remember reading that dry yeast suppliers allow for a very, very slight acceptable amount of bacteria in the packaged product, so that might be something to watch if you plan on going many generations. We're looking into Chlorine Dioxide washing to negate this (potential) negative.
                      Hi,

We only use dry yeast in our brewery with great success. We do not rehydrate though. Can anyone give us some ideas on how to go about rehydrating, say, 1kg of dry yeast?

CharlosCarlies, we have been meaning to use W34/70 on a lager. Could you please give us some advise on pitch amount,temperature, rehydrate or not? Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post

CHeers
                        I have been useing Fermentis 05 and 04 for a year and a half now on a 10HL system. I always sprinkle on the wort when theres about a Hec & a half in there so i can be assured the temp is good and always have great fermentations with it. no issues in 125+ brews

Comment

CharlosCarlies, we have been meaning to use W34/70 on a lager. Could you please give us some advise on pitch amount,temperature, rehydrate or not? Any advise would be appreciated.
                          Sure. From my understanding, it's the Weihenstephan strain (also WLP 830) so we basically treat it as such. Fermentis recommends 80-120 grams/hectoliter and we've been erring on the higher side w/ good results. We do always re-hydrate and generally we'll pitch @ ~50-52F and let rise to 55F for the bulk of fermentation. Where you go from there is up to you and your lager brewing ideology.

Here's a link to the data sheet from Fermentis that should help a bit as well: http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/...SFG_W34pdf.pdf

Also of note, it does seem to floc reasonably well considering, so we've been able to re-harvest enough as soon as the beer hits terminal gravity. Nice to speed things up a few days and gets the yeast out from under the beer quickly.

Comment

Dry Yeast

Hi,
                            My name is Caroline and I am a rep for Lallemand Dry Yeast. If you are interested in more information on Dry Yeast I am happy to send some info on our products, and also dry yeast in general. cparnin@lallemand.com

Comment

Working...
                            X