Reccomendation for Yeast pump 30 to 100 bbl tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reccomendation for Yeast pump 30 to 100 bbl tanks

After researching here and elsewhere I've not been able to discover the best options and variables on a yeast pump. Please help.
    Yeast pump function to include pumping yeast from fermenter to brink, dosing yeast from tank bottom to knock out line injection fitting, dosing yeast from brink to KO, plus other functions.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of double diaphragm, peristaltic, rotary lobe, and other pumps?
    Using 30 to 100 bbl tanks.
    Thanks
    And Cheers

Does anybody pump their yeast?

What pumps are best for collecting yeast into a brink, metering yeast from a brink or tank bottom into a brew?

Comment

I have always pushed yeast with CO2. Seams like using a pump would beat up the yeast.

Comment

Pumping Yeast out of 60 or 100 bbl tank with CO2

In a small brewery CO2 pumping makes sense, but what happens when the tanks are bigger? A thick yeast slurry at the bottom of the tank can get pretty thick requiring a lot of pressure to move it through the 1.5" fittings on the 60 bbl tank (not sure how much of a difference the 2" valves will make on the 100 bbl tanks).
        Pumping 10 or 20 psi into a the headspace of a big tank will take a lot of CO2, the tank is probably only rated to 15 psi. After the yeast transfer the head pressure has to be released potentially causing the turbulence inside the tank and wasting a quantity of CO2.
        A special pump is needed....

Comment

I would use a diaphragm pump for yeast.
          -Self suction
          -Even thick slurry yeast easy to pump
          -through the pulse of the pump yeast in the cone will move downwards and you get a pretty clean cut between yeast and beer
          -easy to adjust the speed via air pressure
          Jonas Kohberger
          Director/Headbrewer/Owner
          Nevada Cerveceria
          Minca
          Colombia

Comment

Single or double diaphragm pump? Peristaltic?

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think a double would be better than a single diaphragm?
            What do you think of peristaltic pumps? I like the cleanability of the peristaltic.
            Cheers

Comment

I have used diaphragm, lobe, gear and peristaltic pumps for yeast. My preferred option is to use peristaltic pumps, if necessary with a variable speed drive to control the pump rate. Hygiene is the main reason, though they are more reliable than air diaphragm pumps in particular, and seem to be less prone to cavitation than lobe or gear pumps.

With thick CO2 saturated yeast, none of these pumps will be truly PD, but they will where there is no entrained gas.

Whichever one you use, remember these are positive displacement pumps and need a pressure relief by-pass round them to prevent overpressure and damage. And when cleaning, open the by-pass route so that you can get turbulent flow through the rest of the pipework, thus cleaning properly. Run the pump at maximum speed, which will never be enough to create turbulent flow in the main pipework, but will allow the pump to be cleaned as best it can. This is a real advantage of peristaltics - as the flexing of the hose during cleaning means there is good physical cleaning action of the hose, with only short sections of non turbulent flow at the inlet and outlet between the bypass connections.
              dick

Comment

I think an AODD pump is a good choice and you don't need a pressure relief bypass on them so you save money there. Get a good sanitary one so you can clean it properly.

We offer FDA compliant Air Operated Double Diaphragm pumps, available in ½"–3" sizes and ideally suited for transferring viscous and shear sensitive products.

As another choice what about a flexible impeller pump? Good suction, easy to clean and fairly gentle on the product. Just get a slightly bigger one and run it slow.
                Your CPE Systems Team!
                CPE Systems Inc.
                800-668-2268
                CPEsystems.com
                Thinkpumps.com
                sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Yeast pump choices

After studying possibilities of a yeast pump, it looks like we'll be going with a peristaltic pump instead of a diaphragm pump. I am a little nervous about pumping yeast 65 feet through a 1" hose (or maybe 1.5"). If the peristaltic pump does not work ... sure it will. The peristaltic pump has a variable speed drive built in so I can simply dial in flow rates once the system is zeroed in. The noise and pulsation of the diaphragm pump made it look like a less attractive option. The possibility of using the peristaltic pump to blend and stir yeast in a brink made the peristaltic option standout. Mixers for brinks are deadly expensive.

I am sure they are both good choices. Both types of pumps are expensive. Peristaltic pump hose is very expensive!

Looked at used models also.

I want to thank Tony at CPE and others for their help.

Call Martin over at Verder pumps, 800.832.4562. He set us up with a great new pump.

I will try to leave some feedback after the system is up and running.
                  Cheers

Comment

+1 for peristaltic...

Besides not needing air, which in turn requires a compressor and an air line, peristaltics are much quieter. Besides, you can use them to dose finings, juice, or whatever to beer over a prescribed time. Or set them to run a short while and have them remove a specified amount of yeast before you start collection for repitch. Peristaltics are really useful for all sorts of things.
                    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                    X