Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one ever dismantle a cold room?

difficulty level?

I did dismantle a cold room. This one was small and able to be disassembled in panels. The biggest mistake that was made was not hiring a professional to disconnect the compressor.
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

We moved a cooler from an old grocery store to the brewery in about 4 days. We had to tear out a ton of old construction around the thing, then take it apart piece by piece. The panels are held together with "J" shaped hooks welded to a hex bolt. Pros have a really really big hex tool, to get plenty of leverage on those bastards. This particular walk-in was installed only 28 years ago...

I agree that you should get a pro to remove the compressor, from wherever it is, or get another one, we ended up picking one out of a field of old dying compressors in the grocery store graveyard. The pro will ensure that it ca easily be fired back up when re-installed, something there about getting moisture inside the copper pipes etc...

Difficulty level-Novice but be prepared to sweat, and maybe bleed a little.
      Dave

Comment

thanks to the superfriends of brew

thank you superfriends. I am still on a quest to find said hex tool.

Comment

said Hex Tool is known as an allen wrench to us Southerners, with help from a cheater pipe. But if you grew up in a city and don't know what an allen head wrench is, I'll be glad to sell you one - but I warn you they are extremely expensive, equivalent to a Zamm-Nagel air tester if you have one.

IF the unit was working well before tearing it down, DO HAVE A PROFESSIONAL HVAC TECH decommission the refrigerant system i.e evacuate the refrigerant and seal the compressor off from moisture. Or buy a new one when you get ready to get it going again. Same difference.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Dismantling Reply

Two things -- an allen wrench will work fine. We used a big pair of vise grips for leverage. Most importantly, though, label each panel (we found sequential numbers) at each seam so you there aren't any issues putting the pieces back together when rebuilding. Do have a refrigerant guy decommission the compressor though - normally they don't charge much at all for it and it is well worth the cost...

Comment

Allen wrench

Use a socket the same size as the allen to put the tourgue on it. I cut my allen off and used thesocket to turn it, worked great!
              Doug A Moller
              Brewmaster
              The Moller Brew House
              (405)226-3111

Comment

Working...
              X