Filter Agent Disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter Agent Disposal

Hey guys, just trying to bounce some ideas around for alternative disposals of our filter agents after use.

We currently use a blend of perlite and DE for our leaf filter. Currently we collect as much as possible during breakdown and add it to the trailer bin with spent grain for the local farmer. While I know that perlite has been approved to be added to animal feed, it does take its toll on the animals, we have a heavy dairy industry in our area and the filter agents tend to wear down the molars on cows, so were looking for other disposal methods. Previous breweries i have worked for ranged from an all perlite filter regimen and disposed the filter cake in the trash as is; others would give to the farmers.

Right now, our local trash processor doesn't like a soupy perlite in their waste, makes it hard for them process and what not, so for the time being straight disposal in the trash is a little out of the question.

I'm also trying to stray away from the DE and move to all all perlite regimen for filtering as well.

What are you guys doing with your filter cakes?
    Jason Schlebach
    Brewer
    Pelican Brewing Company
    Tillamook, Oregon

Anyone in your area composting on a commercial basis? Your filter pack sounds like it would be a great amendment to a compost. You might find a farmer who wants to use it as a soil amendment, but probably not enough to handle all your load.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I wouldn't quite say on a commercial basis, but we have some small local vegetation farms around us. Perhaps a few calls could lead somewhere, thanks for the input.

I'm aware of the compostable properties of DE, but does perlite work just as well?
      Jason Schlebach
      Brewer
      Pelican Brewing Company
      Tillamook, Oregon

Comment

Working...
      X