ideas needed sales call draft service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas needed sales call draft service

One od the big issues I had when I took over here was sales staff using growlers on sales calls. Is there anything much worse than growler beer? Bottles are OK but I dont bottle all our beer. So, I am looking to get a couple of kegs smaller than 1/6 (do they make them?) to put on a 2 wheel cart along with a small CO2 tank so the staff can have the freshest tasting beer to make sales calls with.

Anyone done this before or have any ideas I would appreciate it

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Schaefer has some used 10L kegs available right now. Poly coated, 2.5 gallons. They're super cute. I've got some here I fill for small parties.

Note: state laws may dictate how much beer you can provide, or even remove from the brewery, for sampling purposes in a given period.

Also, one thing I never liked about growlers for sampling is that your sales reps can run afoul of open container laws, should they get pulled over.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I know fox beverage sells a a 2 or 2 1/2 gallon corney keg. If you went that route you could use a small keg charger. The keg chargers use a 16 gram co2 cartridge similar to a BB gun cartridge but a bit larger that connects to the corney via ball lock (keep in mind the cartridge will only supply serving pressure). Then all you need is a "whip" of 1/4 tube (I run about 20 foot on mine) with a picnic tap on one end and a ball lock on the other. That way you would have a small 2 gallon keg and not have to lug around a co2 tank and also be able to provide fresh and fully carbed beer for samples.

On another note there is this thing here as well http://www.brewingtools.com/product/...d-beerbox-kit/

Also as Bainbridge mentioned check with local and state laws if their is any restrictions on how much beer you can supply.
      Last edited by kasbrew; 09-09-2014, 12:04 PM. Reason: added beer box info

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post

Also, one thing I never liked about growlers for sampling is that your sales reps can run afoul of open container laws, should they get pulled over.
        In most states if your rep has their wholesaler card on them then open container laws do not apply.

This is assuming of course they are under the limit.

Comment

I think the easiest and cheapest thing would just to hand bottle a couple before you go out.

Comment

Not to make a shameless plug here but these are double-wall insulated stainless steel 64 oz growlers witha n optional keg cap to keep them under pressure and dispense without removing the lid. They lock down so tightly that even without the addition of the keg cap they make a nice pop sound when the lid is removed after being filled. These hold pressure pretty well even after opening it quite a few times. They also hold temp pretty well. I'd definitely still suggest keeping them in a cooler. Again, not to sound like a big sales pitch or anything, but we are also distributor of this product (Drink Tanks) and can have them made with your logo rather than mine which is as pictured. They come in several colors as well. The price to have yours made, with a minimum order, is less than on the link here. If you're interested pop me an email niko at nikobrew dot com.

http://www.nikobrew.com/nikobrew-drink-tank-black/

Comment

We're contemplating welding ball lock posts through the lids on those cute little 2L/64 oz stainless steel growlers and using one of those portable corny dispensation systems (with the small 16g CO2 cylinders and the small tap that you can just swap out). Compact enough for one salesperson to carry two or three varieties in a duffel/backpack, plus sort of flashy and different. In our market, a lot of people don't have draught systems, and going in with bottles we've gone to the trouble of bottling off of kegs (when we don't offer bottles) inevitably yields the "Well why can't we just get some of these?" question. Our thinking is that a cute little mini draught system like this would be a) flashy and fun, b) be a good amount for one salesperson to go around with (four or so full pours of a few different beers, and more if you're just giving tastings/samples), and c) be a little mini demonstration of what a draught system is and how the mechanics of it aren't really that complicated.

We can get the 2L kegs with caps for ~$9 or so and the ball lock attachments for about the same. That's ~$18 for each complete little system (not counting the corny dispensation systems, which you'd only need one of, or at least one per salesperson, and you can get for ~$50 or so tops).

Sort of a ghetto version of the same system Niko mentions above (and probably the same cost, but I'm far enough away that shipping probably makes it prohibitive for me!).
              Last edited by lthendricks8; 09-16-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help great ideas
                Mike Eme
                Brewmaster

Comment

I got a very reasonable quote from Schaefer on 10L kegs which how we're going to deal with this problem. For a little bit less there are growlers out there now that are CO2 charged with a pour spout.
                  Owner
                  Grind Modern Burger
                  PostModern Brewers
                  Boise, ID

Comment

We use 10oz swing-top bottles. They're cheaper than a keg and eliminate the multiple-opening problem of growlers.
                    --Dean Brundage
                    Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
                    Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
                    (650) 823-3389

Comment

Originally posted by brundage View Post
                      We use 10oz swing-top bottles. They're cheaper than a keg and eliminate the multiple-opening problem of growlers.
                      where did u get them from
                      Mike Eme
                      Brewmaster

Comment

A beergun, 12 oz bottles, and an Emily capper in my "carry around bag". Quick, easy, and you can recap as you go from account to account.

I just fill samples off of the partial filled kegs from the end of a keg run. They are technically waste anyway....except for what I drink myself
                        Scott LaFollette
                        Fifty West Brewing Company
                        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
                          where did u get them from
                          Not quite sure. Probably somewhere like here.
                          --Dean Brundage
                          Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
                          Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
                          (650) 823-3389

Comment

Working...
                          X