Fermentis Abbaye Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentis Abbaye Yeast

Anyone using the new Fermentis Abbaye yeast?
    Would love to hear some feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bump

Was hoping to hear some first hand experience. Someone has to have tried it by now!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowsHillBrew View Post
      Anyone using the new Fermentis Abbaye yeast?
      Would love to hear some feedback

I did a range of trial brews based on the same wort with this yeast and a number of other Belgian yeast strains. I will post the results of the blind tasting here when we sample the trials within the next few weeks.

-Christian

Comment

Cool... Would love to hear your feedback

Comment

I was considering doing some trial ferms as well and would love to hear your results!

Comment

I used the fermentis abbaye yeast for a Belgian tripel, excellent attenuation (exceptional dry finish), very good flocculation, fast to start and fast to finish.

Ran this one at 78 degrees F, came out more on the phenolic peppery clovey side even at the higher temp, I'm looking for more banana esters ....thinking I may try to run this one at 85 F and see what happens.

Has anyone else tried to run higher than recommended temps on this yeast?

Comment

Originally posted by vincemash View Post
              I used the fermentis abbaye yeast for a Belgian tripel, excellent attenuation (exceptional dry finish), very good flocculation, fast to start and fast to finish.

Ran this one at 78 degrees F, came out more on the phenolic peppery clovey side even at the higher temp, I'm looking for more banana esters ....thinking I may try to run this one at 85 F and see what happens.

Has anyone else tried to run higher than recommended temps on this yeast?
              We had the exact opposite experience... trialed this in with 5 gallons of our normal tripel wort in a carboy... pitched at 66 and it probably topped out mid-70's.... fermented a 19.5P beer down to 2P in 3 days and dropped brite after 24 hrs of chilling. It was a banana bomb but man you can't beat that performance!
              Christopher Tkach
              Idle Hands Craft Ales
              Malden, MA
              chris@idlehandscraftales.com

Comment

Abbaye

I cannot speak for the Fermentis Abbaye, but i do have information on Lallemand's Abbaye strain. If you have general questions, or would like info for trials, pricing, or the Technical Data Sheet, please email me at cparnin@lallemand.com
                Cheers,
                Caroline Parnin

Comment

Hi,

We did some trial batches with this yeast. Three different brewers and three different beers. We did a Dubbel, a Blond and a Dark. I've only got some partial feedback to share at this moment and will keep you all updated as we tap the different beers.

All three beers showed strong sulphur at the end of fermentation. Once the sulphur dissipates, it had a fairly "clean" flavour and aroma profile. Some spiciness was about it. All three beers were fermented at about 20C.

The Blond: It was an all malt beer mashed at 68C. OG: 1.062 and FG: 1.010 reached in 5 days. Pitch rate: 70g/hL. I've kegged and tapped the Blond and found it undrinkable at first due to the sulphur. After a week conditioning, I was kinda blown away at how much it has changed for the better. Slight spiciness and even a balanced amount of banana showing. The profile is more like an Achouffe Blond and less like a Leffe blond.

I'll keep you updated when I get more info from the other other brewers and their beer.

Cheers

Comment

Just picked up some Lallemand Abbaye, gonna give that a try on our next batch of Thong Remover Tripel.....will report back with the results
                    Last edited by vincemash; 06-12-2015, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Hi there,

So, my final thoughts on this yeast is that it is "relatively" clean and IMHO I reckon it is very close to the Wyeast 1762/Belgian Abbey II which is supposedly from Rochefort.

In all the test batches we did it did through some sulphur which conditioned out in a matter of a few weeks. I did get some advise from Fermentis to not leave your primary fermentation too long on the yeast as you may get some autolosys coming through in the beer.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X