A fill the crack question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fill the crack question

Our crack head cement contractor used this as our in floor drain. As you can see the cement has pulled away from the plasic inlay drain. As you can imagine it is hell keeping it cleaned out and some damn funky smells come out when we spray it out. I have the 1/4 foam backing that I am going to shove down into the crack but was wondering what caulk type material some have you have used to solve the same issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	193508
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

My first choice would be Vulkem. It's a urethane caulk, takes days to set up, but lasts forever and remains flexible. I've removed windows caulked in with it, and I had to carefully cut the Vulkem with a utility knife blade as it adhered so well to both the window frame and the wood, even after five years in the weather. Use a chlorine-based sanitizer before caulking, let the area dry completely, and be sure the caulk adheres completely to both side of the crack.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      My first choice would be Vulkem. It's a urethane caulk, takes days to set up, but lasts forever and remains flexible. I've removed windows caulked in with it, and I had to carefully cut the Vulkem with a utility knife blade as it adhered so well to both the window frame and the wood, even after five years in the weather. Use a chlorine-based sanitizer before caulking, let the area dry completely, and be sure the caulk adheres completely to both side of the crack.
      I second Timm's vote. I've installed many windows in another life and can attest to the flexibility, saleability and longevity of Vulkem. Just make sure it is not soaking wet when you apply it. Dry would be way better.
      Jon Sheldon
      Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
      Bugnutty Brewing Company
      www.bugnutty.com

Comment

vulkem?

I was looking at this and googled vulkem.

it looks great except for the part where it says:
        For use on exterior applications only. Do not use this product inside an occupied building even if there are no occupants present during use
        Vulkem 116 is a textured, single-component, moisture-curing, gun-grade polyurethane sealant.

is there a more suitable version for indoors use?

I am going to talk to the tremco rep and if i get anything interesting, i will write back.

Comment

It out gasses when it cures. After it cures it is fine.
          Jon Sheldon
          Bugnutty Brewing Company
          www.bugnutty.com

Comment

So, would it not be good to use inside the brewery do to the odor during curing?
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

You can do what ever you want. I used this product for 15 years indoors and out. Its your brewery, we suggested a product the excels as a sealant. Every product that is a sealant outgasses.
              Jon Sheldon
              Bugnutty Brewing Company
              www.bugnutty.com

Comment

safety?

the question is what is in the offgasses?

polyurethanes can have isocyanates as a component which are in a similar family to cyanide. Once they have fully reacted off they are inert, but to put people in an enclosed space with it may be a poor idea.

When the listing clearly states:
                Do not use this product inside an occupied building even if there are no occupants present during use.
                I would at least contact a rep before doing so.

Maybe they will say, ventilate and don't occupy for a period of time, but i would be inclined to check first. With information being readily available, there is no excuse not to research before using. CONSULT THE PRODUCT MANUFACTURER BEFORE USING!

reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyurethane

Some noteworthy recent efforts have been dedicated to minimizing the use of isocyanates to synthesize polyurethanes, because the isocyanates raise severe toxicity issues. Non-isocyanate based polyurethanes (NIPUs) have recently been developed as a new class of polyurethane polymers to mitigate health and environmental concerns.
                Fully reacted polyurethane polymer is chemically inert.
                Liquid resin blends and isocyanates may contain hazardous or regulated components. Isocyanates are known skin and respiratory sensitizers. Additionally, amines, glycols, and phosphate present in spray polyurethane foams present risks.

Comment

Floor coating

I would coat the floor up to the drain. and anchor the drain right before you coat the floor.

call or email with any questions would love to help out anyone in the Brewing Industry
                  CHEERS!!!!
                  Chris Klein
                  541-510-1080
                  chris@cascadefloors.com
                  Cascade Floors is an industrial flooring company specializing in epoxy or resin based floor and wall systems to cover and protect concrete and other surfaces.
                  Chris Klein
                  Cell 541-510-1080
                  Office (503) 769-6823
                  WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
                  chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

Working...
                  X