Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple sugar additions & yeast re-use

Hi folks,

I've got beers with 5-8% additions of a caramelized sugar syrup to the recipe. OGs are is 1.046 (11P) and 1.052 (13P). I'm running into scheduling issues where I am a bit short of yeast for proper pitching rates and rather than risk underpitching I'd prefer to be able to harvest out of these brews. I recall reading somewhere that harvesting out of a batch with a significant addition of sugar was bad news for yeast vitality, but I'm not finding confirmation of this within any other brewing literature. The OG on both batches is acceptable for harvesting, but I don't know about the impact of that sugar. If it makes any difference I am top cropping with an English strain.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest adding some Yeastex 82 to the boil. Might make up for any potential nutrient "losses" from a non-all-malt wort.

Lots of very smart folks insist that with an all malt grist there is no need for additional nutrient, but I look at it as a cheap insurance policy for hearty, healthy fermentations. With a 5-8% addition of kettle sugar I would consider it a no-brainer. I use 2oz per 10bbl batch. I get faster, more reliable fermentations with better and consistent attenuation, and I have been getting upwards of 40 generations on each prop. I am at generation 25 now (of 1056) and I am finding that it is right in the "sweet spot" for reharvesting.

I get it from BSG. They may be a exclusive distributor. I am meaning to experiment with using zinc or some other nutrient additives, but I have been so pleased with the results with YX that changing is pretty low on my priority list.

cheers-Mike

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have been using the Wyeast yeast nutrient right now, at 77g/7bbl, and it includes a zinc additive.

Comment

You might be mixing ideas here. Sucrose does effect the crop of yeast, but not in viability. It effects gene expression. In worts with high concentrations of sucrose the yeast will adapt to use sucrose in their primary metabolic pathway and can loose the ability to ferment maltose entirely. However, I believe by "high sucrose content" it is 30% or more. If you have "Brewing Microbiology" it's in one of the first articles. I'll see if I can find the reference.

Comment

Working...
        X