Brewing Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing Schools

I'm currently a cellar worker at a brewpub and have previously interned at a different brewpub and now I want to start moving up in the industry. What are people's opinions on the correspondance courses provided by UC Davis vs. American Brewers guild (ABG)?

The UC Davis course has two options. The first gives a General Certificate in Brewing and Packaging from the Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD). This costs $1,700. The second option is called the Proffesional Brewers Certificate Program. That course costs $8,000.

The program from the ABG is titled the Crafter Brewers Apprenticeship. That course costs $8,000.

Basically what I would like to have answered is: 1. Which has the best reputation in the industry? 2. Is it worth the money for the $8,000 dollar course versus the $1,700 course? 3. Who has the best job placement assistance? If you were the owner of a brewpub, which diploma would you like to see on the resume?

Thanks for your imput.

you get what you pay for.... mostly. What is your experience? Educational background?
    Larry Horwitz

Comment

Experience: 6 months interning in a 7 bbl brewery where I spent a lot of time doing the actual brewing; 3 months employed nearly fulltime as a cellar worker in a 40 bbl brewery; Homebrewing for 1+ year.

Education: Bachelor's of Science in Biology.

Comment

sweet

Sweet, then you are set up for a good brewing education. Either the ABG (which I did) or the U.C. Davis program will put you where you need to be. The experience will help you to learn more. Both of these programs cover way more than the basics (glycolisis and other important metabolic pathways ie biochem, in addition to the standard ingrediants, and process stuff.) Both offer plenty of engineering too.

I have experience with the Siebel stuff, and I am also a graduate of the MBAA Malting and Brewing Science Technology course...these are way better for the science and practicl.....but if you need to network, do the MBAA program. Lots of good take aways from all of the programs, but if you've been working in a brewery and decide on ABG, just do the progam without the internship....you've done it already.

good luck and cheers
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Any key differences between the General Certificate in Brewing and Packaging and the Proffesional Brewers Certificate Program? $8000 vs. $1,700 is a lot for someone only making $10 an hour, so if there is not an overwhelming difference, it would be a lot easier financially to take the General Certificate program.

There are three key areas that I am looking to develop by taking whatever class I take:
          1. Trouble detection/shooting. I can run the brew day, but I don't know what might cause a funny taste or worse.

2. Recipe formulation. Which malts/hops add what flavor.

3. Connections/networking. So I can find jobs that would allow me to move out of the cellar and into the brewhouse, or at worst do both.

I think I'm pretty much leaning towards one of the two Davis programs because it is only a couple hours from where I live. I'm going to talk it over with the Brewer I work for, but the more opinions I have, the better I can make the decision. So I very much appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion.

Comment

The GCBP is not going to help you run a brewhouse, it's more geared toward theory of brewing. It won't help with flavors of malt, recipe formulation, or troubleshooting. It will help you understand the brewing process more in depth and build on the knowledge you already have.

Scott
            Scott Isham
            Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Dashley go A's

It sounds like you are seeking information that cannot be taught in some brewing science courses. Your background in science means you have a good grasp of what's occuring in the brewhouse. Trouble detection/shooting, recipe formulation and connections/networking come with time in the industry. I have taken some courses and these subjects are rarely touched upon, if at all. I've learned these principles over the years (and continue to learn!) by chatting with other brewers and having a mentor. You can learn alot about these principles by evaluating your beer (and others) in a taste panel setting.

If you have money to spend, a course from UC Davis or MBAA always helps the resume but you may get alot out of attending a flavor workshop by Siebel or even your local MBAA region. Additionally, any professional organization such as MBAA or ASBC will give you great networking opportunities with some real top notch brewers.

I hope this helps, best of luck!
              Mike Jordan
              Brewmaster
              Boxing Cat Brewery
              Shanghai, P.R. China
              michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think at this early stage, the Web-based Concise Course in Brewing Technology by Siebel seems like the most beneficial class that I have the time and money to afford. Thanks for pointing me in their direction, because I didn't know much about them until a response prompted me to look at them.

If any of you are looking for an Assistant Brewer in the Bay Area or Seattle/Tacoma area, I'm always looking to move up I'd also like to tip a pint with anyone in the Bay Area.

Thanks again, and Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X