Trying to sort through chiller ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to sort through chiller ideas

Just a little preface to my question. We are a 2 BBL brewery with 4BBL fermenters and tanks. We can't afford a full on glycol system at this point, and looking for creative solutions to get us to the point in which we can.

Would a refrigerated re circulation unit as used in labs work if sized correctly? We have a few by Neslab which look to be sized close to what we need. In my mind they seem to look like a viable option for the startup period, but I have found little to know discussions of people using them for fermentation so I thought I would ask if there was a reason why. Any help with this or other ideas would be great.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Peace, Trout and Milk Stout

Temp control for beer quality is super important, and I'm going to assume you know enough to take care of that.

What I've learned as a nano is that your ability to get beer down to 31-34F makes a HUGE difference in your ability to push clear beer through your brewery quickly. My FV and BBT can only get beer down to 42, and it adds at least an extra 2 days to every batch because the beer doesn't drop clear quickly. So, at the least, include that info in your plans when you're calculating how much beer you can produce per week/month/year.

Also, I got a new Kreyer 45 chiller that has WAY more horsepower than I need for chilling, and it wasn't that expensive. My chilling problems lie in tank insulation, which is a different conversation for a different day.

Comment

Working...
    X