Non Silicone Antifoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Silicone Antifoam

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but it is a fermentation issue and yeast seems the closest. I'm looking for opinions and tips on non-silicone antifoam products for use in a small 3 bbl brewery. I don't filter so silicone products are out. I have seen two products that are interesting. Birko Patcote 376 and HopAid Antifoam. The hopaid seems to be pretty cool and the fact that it is made from hops is very exciting but I can't find it in the US yet. The other has been around for awhile and I assume people are using it.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Matt

Check out 5-Star 880

It's vegetable oil based. Might be what you're looking for.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

It may be silicone based but I've been happy with Fermcap S in the past. it works both in the kettle and in the FV and it doesn't need to get filtered back out (it binds to the yeast and comes out in the floc) never had any problems getting 10 gens out of the yeast using it either.
      Manuel

Comment

Patcote

I have been using Patcote for about 6 months and absolutely love the stuff. I put some in my kettle at end of laughter and my boil gets stable faster and hasn't even threatened a boil over. I add a little during whirlpool on my porter and high gravity beers and haven't seen any blowoff out into the bucket during primary (10 and 20 bbl Unis). Does exactly what it's supposed to do and I have seen no adverse effects in the beer

Comment

Originally posted by wailingguitar View Post
          I have been using Patcote for about 6 months and absolutely love the stuff. I put some in my kettle at end of laughter and my boil gets stable faster and hasn't even threatened a boil over. I add a little during whirlpool on my porter and high gravity beers and haven't seen any blowoff out into the bucket during primary (10 and 20 bbl Unis). Does exactly what it's supposed to do and I have seen no adverse effects in the beer
          What level are you dosing at? Thanks for the info!!

mmussen, I'm pretty sure that is an FDA issue and you may want to look into the legality of using it without a filtration system.

Matt

Comment

Patcote 376 is what Dana at Birko recommended to me when I asked him the same question.. he knows his stuff!

We used it on our pilot system and now using it on our 10bbl system and love it!

It's in the list in this link..

Birko offers a comprehensive line of products for brewing and distilling sanitation, backed by the best support in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by jakecpunut View Post
              Patcote 376 is what Dana at Birko recommended to me when I asked him the same question.. he knows his stuff!

We used it on our pilot system and now using it on our 10bbl system and love it!

It's in the list in this link..

http://www.birkocorp.com/brewery/pro...ol-production/
              Thanks guys! Talked to Dana and he was very helpful. I bought directly from them and they sold me a single gallon which will last me for 30-60 batches on my 3bbl system. I knock out at about 100 gal and 1 oz just before boil and then the same 1/2 way through knockout. Doubled if over 1.060-ish og. In a brewpub where I am bringing in guest beers because I can't keep up, a 5 gal loss of high gravity beer is hundreds of dollars out of my pocket. Plus the labor involved in cleaning up the mess ...

Thanks for the help and I will report back how it goes. If anyone get ahold of some HopAid I would love to hear about it.

Comment

Is there any issue with harvesting and reusing yeast when you use anti foam products to the fermenter? We use Fermcap in the boil and have been thinking of using it in the fermenters too but I dont want to if it will cause any problems with reusing the yeast.
                Thanks
                No Clue Craft Brewery LLC
                Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Comment

Just wanted to update. Brewed a 1.091 og imperial stout yesterday. Knocked out 100 gal into a 115 gal plastic conical. Going like gangbusters and no foaming. Used 2 oz Patcote 376 in the boil and same again into the fermenter when about 1/2 full. Product so far has worked as promised. I'm struggling with head retention on most of my beers also, so it will be interesting to see if this helps there as they say it should.

Matt

Comment

I was under the impression that Fermcap AT was silicone free. However, the active ingredient listed is still Dimethylpolysiloxane.

Comment

Working...
                    X