Low Wort Temp Pre-Yeast Pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Wort Temp Pre-Yeast Pitch

Well I made the mistake of leaving my glycol running to my fermenter overnight and the tank was sitting at 34 degrees. I brewed today and ran everything through my HX like normal thinking that the cold temp of the stainless would heat up quick enough once I put 70ish degree wort into the tank. As it turns out that was not the case, my thermometer is reading 42degrees.

I have tried to figure out a way to run hot water through the glycol jacket but it will be a huge PITA.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have considered just leaving it and pitching the yeast once it warms up, or I have throught about pitching a small amount of the yeast to try to get things moving a little.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have had a similar experience due to a stuck solenoid. Do you have an empty fermenter or cold liquor tank? If so, fill up the empty tank with the hottest water you can produce (180-212 degrees F). Turn off the glycol supply to your other tanks as well as your compressor. Keep the recirculating pump on and allow the glycol to run between the tank with the hot water and the tank that needs to warm up. It will take some time but the hot water will heat up the glycol and subsequently heat up the tank sitting at 42. Not really an energy efficient solution but it does work. Best of luck.

James

Comment

James.
      Thanks for the info. I did end up cutting into my glycol system and running hot tap water through the jacket. It worked but only got me up to 50 degrees.
      Does anyone have an opinion about pitching some yeast to get some activity going and some heat produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We added some piping and a valve to our heat-x which lets us recirc water from the HLT through it instead of cold. Helps keep it toasty during CIP and in cases like this, can be used to warm things up. It was like $20 of copper piping and a half hour of work.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
        X