Lovibond Vs SRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovibond Vs SRM

Hey folks.. when I configure my recipes using Beersmith, the grain color for the recipe is in SRM.

When I get a malt analysis sheet from Crisp, the grain color is shown in IOB & L

As an example, Crisp 77 shows 150 IOB & 75 L

I've been using an online color converter to convert L to SRM. In this instance, 75 L converts to 100 SRM. C120 converts to 160 SRM etc etc

I've read conflicting discussions on color and how L is equal to SRM but how can it be if the calculator changes it that much?

I've been either backing down on the amount of my darker grains or going to a lower Caramel malt to stay within the color range of the style.

With the even darker malts, chocolates, roasted barley, black etc.. the difference is HUGE.

I know black is black but when you have several darker malts and they all end up being way darker in color, it changes the SRM quite a bit.

Am I missing something here??

Jake

Hey Jake,

Not sure about software converters, but I did a google search and this may (or may not) be helpful. And I agree, seems to be much more difficult to get right with the darker grains.

Either way...within reason, trial and error work best. When you get to the color you like....you're done...

Regards and good luck.

Phil
    Crank Arm Brewing, Raleigh.
    ps...miss your videos.
    Last edited by poltz; 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by poltz View Post
      Hey Jake,

Not sure about software converters, but I did a google search and this may (or may not) be helpful. And I agree, seems to be much more difficult to get right with the darker grains.

Either way...within reason, trial and error work best. When you get to the color you like....you're done...

Regards and good luck.

Phil
      Crank Arm Brewing, Raleigh.
      ps...miss your videos.
      Thanks Phil.. I meant to put the link to the one I use and forgot..

And you are totally right, it's more trial and error than anything but also very confusing! ha

I miss doing the videos as well! Maybe one day I can get back at it! ha

Btw, the wife and I were out that way not too long ago and the Crank Arm beers were awesome!!

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks Jake.

Sorry I missed ya... You guys open yet? What's your schedule? I'll check you guys out....

P

Comment

Originally posted by poltz View Post
          Thanks Jake.

Sorry I missed ya... You guys open yet? What's your schedule? I'll check you guys out....

P
          Yes sir. The tap room is open Friday and Saturday 12-6.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
          X