Adjacent Breweries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjacent Breweries?

We have spent quite a bit of time trying to find a suitable location for our brewery. There is an opportunity to purchase an existing brewery either turnkey or just the building. The building was refurbished several years ago and is very nice although not cheap. At the time this brewery was being constructed, another brewery was also being constructed - directly next door in a former autobody shop. This other brewery is still very popular locally and does great business while the brewery in the building that we are looking at was not as successful - they offered only German styles + were a coffee shop during the day and are calling it a day for either business or personal reasons.

Our biggest concern is that being directly next door to an established, successful brewery would be difficult/foolish in that we would either take sales from one another (we would offer the more popular styles which the successful brewery does unlike the other predecessor brewery). I am familiar with situations where breweries are located close to one another (down the street, across the street) and how this can be a beneficial arrangement because at times patrons like to visit numerous breweries on a given night but I have never come across a situation where 2 breweries are next door to one another.

I am looking for input as to whether anyone out there has encountered a similar situation or what your feelings are on this, pro or con.

Cheers!

Andy

There are a few areas that I know of with a dense concentration of breweries. One in the Ballard neighborhood in Seattle where there must be 10-11 within a mile radius, another in an area of London (can't remember the name of the neighborhood, Bermondsey?) where there are at least three and people are hopping between them all. I'm sure there are countless other examples.

It helps beer tourism for sure when people can hit a bunch of breweries in a single outing. If you make outstanding beer and/or have a great atmosphere, people would probably come to you from afar anyway, but clustering can certainly help "average" breweries, beyond what they would get from their local communities anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by scotts View Post
      There are a few areas that I know of with a dense concentration of breweries. One in the Ballard neighborhood in Seattle where there must be 10-11 within a mile radius, another in an area of London (can't remember the name of the neighborhood, Bermondsey?) where there are at least three and people are hopping between them all. I'm sure there are countless other examples.

It helps beer tourism for sure when people can hit a bunch of breweries in a single outing. If you make outstanding beer and/or have a great atmosphere, people would probably come to you from afar anyway, but clustering can certainly help "average" breweries, beyond what they would get from their local communities anyway.

Agree, in the Minneapolis region there's an area called the Nordeast. Whenever I go down there (3hr drive) I find myself staying in the Nordeast area and visiting all the different breweries (and sometimes for the second time) even though there are many other breweries scattered around less than 30 Min away in the metro area that I would like to try and that probably have beer that's just as good As many of the Nordeast breweries. Proximity is a powerful thing!

Comment

In the short term it works out great for you because the drinkers next door will be curious about what your doing. Now, if your beer isn't at least on par with the guys next door your flaws will show much bigger than if you were somewhere else.
        Owner
        Grind Modern Burger
        PostModern Brewers
        Boise, ID

Comment

Adjacent Breweries

Thanks for taking the time to comment/provide insight.

Cheers!

Andy

Comment

Working...
          X