Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Stainless

Hello-

I'm a homebrewer and I have 2 stainless unitanks (15 gallons each) that I would like to have 1.5" TC fittings welded onto (sanitary). Is this something that a local welding shop (eperienced with stainless) could handle, or do I need to search for a welder with specific brewery/food plant experience? I'm located in Massachusetts, anyone have a welder they use in my area?

Thanks!

Dan

hi Dan, for any fermeter weldeing you would want a sanitary weld, most Stainless welders can do so, make sure they are using argon gas to get the welds done right.
    I dont know of any in your area. but if you look around ...
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

hi,

yep, i would go with a sanitary guy - if no brewing people, look for people who do dairy work. maybe go with a 1" TC ferrule, which still uses a 1.5" clamp, as 1.5" might be a bit on the large side for your small uni.

cheers,

alex

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry for my delayed response but I forgot to subscribe to my own thread! I found a local guy that does sanitary welding for a brewery nearby. How important is it do use a passivating acid on the welds after the work is done?

Comment

Its important, to look good, as well as hold up as stainless does, its simply done by applying this acidic paste and waiting a few minutes and using a green scrubie to take off the discoloration, then rinse. so it shouldnt cost much.

once you have these project done you can use alkaline and acid cleaners they clean much better than safe homebrew goods and elbow grease.

I still like to sanitize with 85-90C water rinse though.
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Great! I ordered some High Alkaline cleaner and an acid called Passivate Plus which is a phosphoric and nitric acid blend which should handle my needs nicely. The welder said that when he does the weld that he uses a stainless brush to clean it up so the acid may not be necessary but I'll probably do it anyways. I would imagine that the area of the weld will not as bright and shiney as it was when it was new, but this shouldn't be a concern, should it?

Comment

Stupid question, but are sanitary welds necessary on the boil kettle as well? Seems that the temperatures involved should mean no problem (or is there some kind of evil fill involved in other types of welding?)

I don't know much about welding yet, but I'm hoping to take a class this summer at the local community college. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Stainless Brazing Solder

There are some very good stainless brazing solders on the market that have incredible strengths- Check to insure they are food grade- meaning minus the Cadmium- most have a much lower melting point than stainless rods- and no need for caustic chemicals after- a nice job comes out clean and shinin-
                it is a little pricey- about 20$ an ounce- and that ounce goes quick-
                something to ponder on a home brew setup-
                Rots a ruck-
                Bazooka

Comment

Working...
                X