New To Isinglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Isinglass

We have been having some issues with flocculation of our yeast to the point where it is clogging up our filters too quickly. So we are going to try the "Biofine" isinglass based additive. Does anyone have any experience with this type of additive? And does anyone know if it is safe to use in un-filtered beer? or does it need to be "stripped" out of the beer by filtration before consumption?

Of course it is safe - even to vegans, though some of them may dispute that. But seriously, this has been used for hundreds of years so apart from someone with a genuine intolerance / allergy to fish or sulphites will be fine. The sulphites are used as a preservative, but the final value in beer is considered so low in the UK at least that it isn't even required to be listed under allergen labelling regs. British cask beer has relied on finings for years (start of use lost in the mists of time) to produce relatively bright beer for consumption without filtration.

For a good introduction to usage rates and determining what these should be, go to Murphy & Sons, Nottingham. I'm sure your local supplier will be able to provide similar information
    dick

Comment

Dick's right on the money. Very safe and if you're filtering, it doesn't appear in the final product. I must say that the Biofine Clear (vegan) actually seems to work better in my anecdotal experience. Nearly filter clear beer in a couple days. Sped up our filter time from about 1-1.5 hours to 45 minutes for our kolsch which is notoriously non-flocculating. I don't care about whether or not someone's vegan or vegetarian. In fact I sort of secretly relish knowing that we have used fish, pork, or bovine products in our beer. But the Biofine clear (and generic available from BSG and CMG) is a cut above the others from my experience. Works on proteins, polyphenols and yeast. It's sorcery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleBrewer View Post
        Dick's right on the money. Very safe and if you're filtering, it doesn't appear in the final product. I must say that the Biofine Clear (vegan) actually seems to work better in my anecdotal experience. Nearly filter clear beer in a couple days. Sped up our filter time from about 1-1.5 hours to 45 minutes for our kolsch which is notoriously non-flocculating. I don't care about whether or not someone's vegan or vegetarian. In fact I sort of secretly relish knowing that we have used fish, pork, or bovine products in our beer. But the Biofine clear (and generic available from BSG and CMG) is a cut above the others from my experience. Works on proteins, polyphenols and yeast. It's sorcery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        What is BSG and CMG please?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cisco View Post
          What is BSG and CMG please?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
          Brewers Supply Group and Country Malt Group
          Dave Cowie
          Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
          Nevada City, CA

Comment