Honey Malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey Malt

How is Honey Malt made? Was this truely an accidental discovery?

Contact Gambrinus Malting and ask them. I believe the malt is starved for oxygen sometime during the growth phase. They'll have a better answer for you, though.

Comment

Honey Malt

From Paddock Wood Brewing:
      "Malt sweetness and honey like flavour and aroma make it perfect for any specialty beer. The closest comparison is a light caramel, but Honey Malt has a flavour of its own: sweet and a little bit nutty. Made by restricting the oxygen flow during the sprouting process, Honey Malt is essentially self-stewed. When the oxygen is cut off, the grain bed heats up, developing sugars and rich malt flavours. The malt is lightly kilned for a color color profile of 25 SRM and is devoid of astringent roast flavors. Honey malt has a diastatic power of 50, and can convert itself but not additional adjuncts. It is best mashed with a base malt. Use up to 25% in specialty beers for a unique flavour."

Comment

Wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on what the flavor/aroma impact of honey malt will be. I'm brewing a Belgian Quad and I want a subtle but noticeable honey presence to mix with the other flavors and aromas that will be in this beer. It'll probably be a 26 plato beer and having never used honey malt myself I'm not sure how potent this stuff is. Any thoughts on percentages?
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Originally posted by kugeman
          Wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on what the flavor/aroma impact of honey malt will be. I'm brewing a Belgian Quad and I want a subtle but noticeable honey presence to mix with the other flavors and aromas that will be in this beer. It'll probably be a 26 plato beer and having never used honey malt myself I'm not sure how potent this stuff is. Any thoughts on percentages?
          I'd say it's a very strong, Munich like flavor. I personally don't get honey notes from this malt. I live an hour or so away from Gambrinus and since I posted the above I've been to the malting house a number of times.

It's malted at as high a heat as they can get away with without the grain getting to "ripe" (bordering on the edge just shy of becoming sour), then it is kilned at a fairly high temp. It's kind of of like an extra strong version of Munich. Very intense sweet Munich taste. Don't take this literally, but flavor wise it's almost like a concentrated Munich malt with a kick. Smell and taste the raw grains and you'll get an idea.

I use honey malt in almost every brew I make. It's became a signature malt and I get a great response from my beers.

It needs to be converted. It's diastatic level is very low.

I'd give it a try in your Belgian for sure. Try less than 5% maximum in your grist. (Though I've used up to 15% on certain beers I recomend under 5% unless you know this malt).
          Last edited by Denny's Brew; 03-10-2008, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I need to know. I'm already using quite a bit of Munich in this recipe, so I'll low ball the honey malt in order to not overdue it. Thanks!
            Hutch Kugeman
            Head Brewer
            Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
            Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I use Honey malt in two of our seasonal/specialties. One uses 8% the other 11%. I've used it as high as 25% in the past in a fairly big 20+P beer. I think it works well in larger beers but can overpower smaller beers very fast, think Special B. I agree with the Munich on Crack aroma.

With the 26P Quad, you are safe with 15% as long as you don't use a bunch caramel malts as well.

I first used Honey malt 14 years ago on the recommendation of a brewer friend. I was looking for a light honey aroma in a 10-12P summer beer without using honey. I think I used less than 5% in that beer with good success.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
              X