Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saison Farmhouse strain repitch concerning phenolics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saison Farmhouse strain repitch concerning phenolics?

We brewed a 14P saison and let the farmhouse saison strain get to 86F (36C) during a free rise, no glycol ever, it's now free falling to room temp. The yeast is rated to 84 F.

If you repitch into another similar gravity beer, will the yeast be so stressed from the heat that it will throw out phenolics/medicinal/plastic? (I've got it in a grisette half barrel batch to test)

Would you prop up from a portion if not a full cone to cone repitch?

Yeast specs:
    Wyeast 3726 PC
    Farmhouse Ale
    This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Attenuation 74-79%
    Alc. Tolerance 12%
    Flocculation variable
    Temperature Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

Thanks,
    Luke

Originally posted by Luke Smith View Post
    We brewed a 14P saison and let the farmhouse saison strain get to 86F (36C) during a free rise, no glycol ever, it's now free falling to room temp. The yeast is rated to 84 F.

If you repitch into another similar gravity beer, will the yeast be so stressed from the heat that it will throw out phenolics/medicinal/plastic? (I've got it in a grisette half barrel batch to test)

Would you prop up from a portion if not a full cone to cone repitch?

Yeast specs:
    Wyeast 3726 PC
    Farmhouse Ale
    This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Attenuation 74-79%
    Alc. Tolerance 12%
    Flocculation variable
    Temperature Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

Thanks,
    Luke
    It should be fine if you crash to 38 and harvest soon after reaching that temperature. Like 3711 I'm guessing it's not saccharomyces cerevisiae but a hardier species like Torulaspora delbrueckii . You should really be doing cell counts and own a quality microscope if you're going to re-pitch yeast into a product you need to depend on.

harvest into yeast brinks on water, or you can try cone to cone.

doing cell counts and having a microscope lets you obtain some sort of viability, you could be using 90% live yeast or 30% and get a hung fermentation. you roll the dice big time if you're not just doing this for yourself

for 14P consider pitching (14)(750,000)(size of your fermenter in mL)

you can look for enlarged vacuoles to determine viability if you don't have access to stains. the ASBC has viability tests SOPs you can perform if you have access to some chemicals

My guess is the flocculation is going to be quite poor too so you'll end up with a pretty thin slurry and you might have to use quite a bit more than you would think. I'm guessing you'll get a slurry about 2 to 5x10^8th cells per mL depending on how well you crash and how slow you harvest(don't punch a hole in the yeast if you're using a conical fermenter)
    Last edited by Yeast; 02-19-2015, 07:49 PM.
    I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Working...
    X