Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you just remove the little perforated plates from a pad filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you just remove the little perforated plates from a pad filter?

So we had a really nasty filter run on our kappa 4 40x40. As you can see, the dry hops got EVERYWHERE. So as I removed the little screwed on plates that direct the flow out of the main plate the thought occurred:

Can you just do the filter run without them???

Seems like it would be more sanitary, easier to clean. Flow would favor one pad over the other but as that pad gunked pressure would increase through the side that still has holes. Hmm...
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

You will have some issues with the pad not sitting correctly. With that being said it should still work just not the best case. If you are doing a proper heat cycle on your plates then you shouldn't have to worry about sanitation in that small portion of the plate.

Comment

I will be honest. I have wondered the same thing. They are a pain and i often wonder about weather they ever truly get cleaned unless you take them off. I may try taking a few off and seeing if the flow patterns are affected....
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

We do heat sanitize but even with a caustic backflush loop there's always still hops left behind those stupid plates. In the past I've used an air blaster hooked up to our compressor, which does a good job of blowing the hop flakes out (if they're dry). But it's also a PITA.

Seems to me that the pad wouldn't be supported on both sides anymore over where that plate was. But for the run the filter has positive pressure. So the pad would be pressed against the frame by the beer flow, which should be fine. I suppose the concern would be that the pad could tear during backflushing, if say, the pads gunked up, or during cleaning. But if it was during cleaning, meh.

Think I'll try it on Friday's filter run, got a nice clear amber kolsch to do, to see if it impacts non-dry hopped beers. (That'd test the backflow tear theory) Next week is the next dryhopped beer to be filtered. Then we'll see how that works.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
          We do heat sanitize but even with a caustic backflush loop there's always still hops left behind those stupid plates. In the past I've used an air blaster hooked up to our compressor, which does a good job of blowing the hop flakes out (if they're dry). But it's also a PITA.

Seems to me that the pad wouldn't be supported on both sides anymore over where that plate was. But for the run the filter has positive pressure. So the pad would be pressed against the frame by the beer flow, which should be fine. I suppose the concern would be that the pad could tear during backflushing, if say, the pads gunked up, or during cleaning. But if it was during cleaning, meh.

Think I'll try it on Friday's filter run, got a nice clear amber kolsch to do, to see if it impacts non-dry hopped beers. (That'd test the backflow tear theory) Next week is the next dryhopped beer to be filtered. Then we'll see how that works.
          Very curious to hear what you find out Russell.
          Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

The pads must be evenly supported acros the complete area of the pad. If you remove the corner sections the pad will tear away at some point in the unsupported section allowing unfiltered beer to pass through. I assume the photo shows the infeed side is this after temporarily removing the screw in plates? If so, I would replce them promptly as you are liable to damage the sheet s during backwashing.
            dick

Comment

Working...
            X