March 1/25 hp to recirc hops in fv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 1/25 hp to recirc hops in fv

Anyone using a small homebrew March pump to recirc hops in the fv after dry hopping?
    Currently we blast co2 through bottom port but I'm thinking recirc may get even more flavor

Originally posted by LaveryBrewing View Post
    Anyone using a small homebrew March pump to recirc hops in the fv after dry hopping?
    Currently we blast co2 through bottom port but I'm thinking recirc may get even more flavor
    I have on a homebrew level with a Chugger Pump, which is essentially the same pump. I would assume that you would want a larger pump on a commercial size FV, but the results were good. I would not dry hop as long with this method. Here's my write up on it: http://www.metabrewing.com/2013/02/r...-more.html?m=1

Comment

I use that exact pump to recirculate finings in a 15 BBL fermenter. It works great for that. However, I have to make sure I have pulled off as much dry hop and yeast material as possible before I start. Those pumps have a very small pathway through the head and the magnetic drive is easily defeated with a little bit of resistance. It can handle a little bit of residue, but if a big slug of hops hits it, it plugs pretty easy..

I know others do exactly what you are planning but I don't have a recommendation on what pump works well...
      Scott LaFollette
      Fifty West Brewing Company
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I use it on 10bbl and 20bbl fv to recirc hops. I pull out of the racking arm and push back into the bottom, it works great, never jams. I do let the hops sit for a day without the pump so the pellets break down. Ive seen this same pump used on a 250bbl flat bottom tank as well.

Comment

Nice! Curious how long one would run this pump to get maximum hop flavor.
          using this on 10 & 20 bbl tanks btw.
          run it constantly for a day? Use it for 30 minutes for a few days? Trial and error?

Any advice?

Comment

8 hours a day for 4 days is what I run, gives me aromas to the same levels as 7 days with co2 rousing twice a day.

Comment

Working...
            X