Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Filtration and Tankless Hot Water Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filtration and Tankless Hot Water Recommendations?

Hello fellow Brewers!

We are trying to put together the final nuts and bolts on our brewery startup. We are a small 1.5 BBL electric setup. We have recently been looking into tankless hot water heaters and filtration and are wondering if anybody has any recommendations?

Haven't looked very far into filtration, but are probably gonna be happy with a simple charcoal system with a few stages of filtering. Not looking for RO systems, or anything way out of budget.

As far as hot water heaters are concerned, I've been looking into Rheem, Bosch, and Rinnai units. Anyone have any commercial sized units they can give advice on? Cheers!

Keith
    Olde Mother Brewing Co.

We have a rinnai 94i and it supplies us plenty fast. You have to get a separate rinnai temp controller to run it above 140 as well. Once you install the controller the temp goes from 140-150-160-185 with no in between settings. we have been able to make due, and overall really like our heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
      We have a rinnai 94i and it supplies us plenty fast. You have to get a separate rinnai temp controller to run it above 140 as well. Once you install the controller the temp goes from 140-150-160-185 with no in between settings. we have been able to make due, and overall really like our heater.
      Thanks Junkyard! That's the exact model I was looking at myself. With our electric setup, it would save us at least 2 hours to get the mash going, and have mash temp water in our HLT for circulation. As far as output temp goes, would you happen to know the average time it takes you to get 50 gal of 170 degree water? Thanks again!

Comment

Don't forget to consider the implications of scaling up of an instant hot water system if your water has a lot of temporary hardness in the form of calcium carbonate or bicarbonate. You will need to include a facility to regularly descale if you water has temporary harness.
        dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
          Don't forget to consider the implications of scaling up of an instant hot water system if your water has a lot of temporary hardness in the form of calcium carbonate or bicarbonate. You will need to include a facility to regularly descale if you water has temporary harness.
          Thanks for the advice! We are planning on backflushing valves to perform maintenance, but also an active carbon filter to prefilter our brewhouse water. Yorkshire is beautiful! I lived in Cambridgeshire for about 5 years, and would love to come back to England for a visit!

Comment

Working...
          X