Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller Sizing - Lagers

Hi Everybody -

I submitted a hypothetical scenario to ProChiller for a brewery that does a large percentage of lagers and got a very large chiller recommended. I am not questioning their math - I am looking for ways to reducing the wort chilling load, which is driving the size of the chiller.

My question - Assuming a "worst case scenario" of a double brew day on a 15bbl system, what ways are there to help so that the chiller load isn't nearly 200k btu/hr when cooling from 85f to 52f in 60 mins? I am assuming it will be prechilling some amount of water to help with 1st stage cooling in the HEX but hope the forum can offer up some help from experience.

I have attached the sheet for reference.

Thanks,

John
    Attached Files

I would not recommend using your chiller to directly cool wort. Every time you knock out a batch of wort you will be warming up all of you tanks that are calling for cooling and putting tremendous stress on your chiller. Why not pre chill all you water to the heat exchanger or use a cold liquor tank? What is the ambient temperature of your incoming water?
    Justin Moore
    Head Brewer of Good Times
    Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
    Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. Directly chilling the wort is what is making that load calculation so huge, so cutting that out of the equation gets me way down. So would a 2 stage HEX be the way to go with city water then cooled water to get the wort down to 52f? Accounting for double brew days, I'm imagining the CLT is going to have to be pretty big.

I am in the LA area and summer water temps can get on the warm side (estimating 75f worst case).

Comment

Your heat exchanger supplier should be able to size a 2 stage unit with your specs. Much cheaper than a larger chiller. Plus with using just water, you can reclaim the hot effluent for other processes in your brewery.
        Justin Moore
        Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

Yes, they are sizing it for a 2 stage HEX with the chiller doing the duty of dropping from 85f to 52f (at least that's how I read it). That is still quite a load and that's where I am hoping a large CLT can take its place in that duty.

I put a 15bbl CLT into the calculation as a hypothetical, just to see what the load would be. It would likely need to be larger to handle the 2nd stage of the HEX for back to back lager brews. I will ask them if they can run that scenario.

Comment

You can also get a second smaller heat exchanger that will pre chill city water for the second stage of the larger heat x.
            Justin Moore
            Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

Calculations

15 BBL = 465 gallons

465 gallons x (85F - 52F) x 8.5 lb/gal = 130,432.5 btu/hr would be your wort cooling max load.

I would recommend using a cold liquor storage tank (water) somewhere in the 500gal to 1000gal range, and have it slowly pre-cooled down as cold as possible by the glycol chiller during your down-time (overnight & after your first brew of the day), when you're not wort-chilling. Making use of your down-time, and banking as many btu/hr possible by slowly cooling a larger cold liquor tank, will allow you to have a bunch of stored up btu/hr to unload on the shock-effect wort cooling application.

Click image for larger version

Name:	whaley chillers.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	190697
              Last edited by whaleyproducts; 04-21-2015, 04:44 PM.
              Whaley Products
              940-503-1170
              sales@whaleyproducts.com
              www.whaleyproducts.com

Comment

Working...
              X