Diacetyl Rest Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diacetyl Rest Questions

I understand the diacetyl rest, and how to do it. My question that I can't seem to find an answer to is, do I rack off my yeast as there will still be yeast in suspension to take up any VDK present before I cold crash they yeast out.

Do I drop the temp a to say 60F a couple of points pre-terminal gravity, then rack the yeast off, set temp to 70F and let it slowly come up over time (removing VDK), then drop temp and carb? I'm confused on how to hit terminal gravity and remove diacetyl.

I would raise temp control to 65 shortly before ferment in done and let it climb on it's own (not dropping yeast), then bring down to lager temps after rest.

That being said, taste the beer and see if it even needs it. Honestly, in 25 years I have never had a single lager that actually needed a diacetyl rest... have had to scrub sulphur with a few, but never a need for diacetyl rest.

Comment

It's an ale that I'm fermenting at 68F. This is why I was confused. It seems like a lot of temps up and down. Ferment at 68F until terminal gravity, at terminal gravity drop to 55F to drop yeast out, rack off yeast, raise temp to 70F for 2 days for diacetyl rest.

Diacetyl rest on a lager, I understand. I'm just confused about it on an ale.

Thanks

Comment

Ferment at 68, 36 hours in or a 3rd of the way raise jackets to 75 and let it rise until it finishes. No need to drop until you hit terminal and no need to fuss with temps. No diacytal, good attenuation. Everyone wins.

Comment

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphaacid View Post
            It's an ale that I'm fermenting at 68F. This is why I was confused. It seems like a lot of temps up and down. Ferment at 68F until terminal gravity, at terminal gravity drop to 55F to drop yeast out, rack off yeast, raise temp to 70F for 2 days for diacetyl rest.

Diacetyl rest on a lager, I understand. I'm just confused about it on an ale.

Thanks
            Sorry, I just assumed lager. Good luck!

Comment

No problem I appreciate the help!!

Comment

Working...
              X